Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

The story about the cop and the NFL player

This story pissed me off when I saw it this morning on the local news.

This guy and his family gets a call at 1am from the hospital where his wifes mother is being treated for breast cancer. They are informed that the mother has taken a turn for the worse and has but a few mins to live.

Tha family jump into the Caddy Escalade and make the short trip to the hospital. They run through a red light but the intersection was empty and the guy had his hazzards on.

They stop in the hospital parking lot where the cop holds them at gun point. They plead with the officer to let them say goodby to the dying woman. The wife runs in to see her, the husband continues to plead with the officer.The nurse and security guard come out to confirm the story but the cop doesn't budge. The guy never gets to say goodby to his mother in law.

Absolutly sickening! The cop should be fired and the depertment should be sued for $50 million and every penny of the judgement donated to breast cancer research.

I understand that the police have a job to do. But some situations need just a little common sense, judgement and compassion.

The story and video.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29895162/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the problem with some cops and most newbie cops .........They have no gray area it's black or white .

They don't wonder or ask why someone is doing something [ were all perps to them ]

Like the above story, Car speeding to hospital , driver and passenger want to run in to see Family member but all , alpha hotel, can think about is they ran a red light so I might have to shoot them.

Common sense died , yep , it died ...............about 15 20 years ago.

R.I.P. Common sense

I saw on the news tonight that this particular cop is on administrative leave pending further investigation.... Sheesh~ amazing to me how even when it's on VIDEO that the guy can get away with being IGNORANT!! :753_hammer_hitting_head: Kinda like working for ANY City.......doesn't matter how STUPID one is - they're given EVERY opportunity to "prove" themselves "worthy" of having a job they have no business doing..... :753_hammer_hitting_head::753_hammer_hitting_head::753_hammer_hitting_head:

OOPS ~ I'm sorry - did I say that out loud....?? :471_confused_face:

I'm very sorry that this happened - to ANYONE and hope that there's SOME type of lesson learned here.

FJ

I thought the guy was very calm and polite given the situation. He didn't even tell the cop he was an NFL player. I would have lost it and ran in the hospital. The cop would have had to shoot me to stop me.

If I were the NFL player who probably has more money in his checking account than that dirt bag cop will make in his whole life I would retain the best attorney in the state.

Then I would sue the cop personally for pain and suffering to the tune of $1 Million. Then I would sue the department in civil court for $50 million.

And like I said, all the money goes to breast cancer research and/or a local charity.

I know the chief stepped up and apologized and wiped out the ticket, gee thanks for sparing the guy the $100.00 ticket. Its a slap in the face.

The cop is on paid leave so he gets a paid vacation until the smoke clears.

I know suing won't get this guy the chance he lost but until the department is hit hard enough which will trickle down to the officers this kind of crap will go on. Its a shame when the police need policing, or at least taught how to act with good judgement and compassion.

Sorry for the rant, this kind of stuff hits a nerve. Both sides of my family has cancer and ironically my mother in law had breast cancer and almost died from it. Thank god she recovered well...but not without several major operations.

And I actually got the same call to come to the hospital when my aunt was dying of cancer. This is my fathers sister who was like my 2nd mom. I rushed to the hospital to see her and say goodby, she passed about an hour after I got there so I was able to say goodby.

So it is likely that myself and/or my wife will have to deal with cancer later in life. Well even if one of us gets it we all have to deal with it.

It should be mandatory training for all cops to watch all the episodes of Mayberry. Andy had it about right.

The problem is some these guys would do the job for free just to get to wear the uniform, carry the gun and drive the car.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++! :1898_:

And I just observe this crap! 12-year-old wanna-play-soldier BS! Have you ever noticed the cops look more and more like the military? I suppose that's fine in a dictatorship, but, last time I checked, we, weren't... :504_shrugging:

Hell, I'll probably have to take a time-out for that one... :1925_:

The story says at the end that the chase went on for about a minute. Thats a pretty long time. I am sure what happened is during that chase this officer is becoming more and more agitated and scared wondering just what kind of folks he is chasing who won't stop. But when the vehicle turned into the hospital, you might think a light would go on in his head.

And surely when the situation unfolded, he should have been able to get out of his swat mode and start helping.

I would fire him.

Caveman is right. I'm sure the cop was jacked up over the chase, but when the car pulls up in front of a hospital, that should have influenced his thinking. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and accompany him in. If he's lying, fry his @ss. When the nurse confirmed the situation, and he didn't let him go in immediately, that clinched his idiocy and poor judgement. If I was his chief, I wouldn't want someone on my team, that exercised such poor judgement. Put his @ss on the street in this poor job market. Maybe when he's bussing tables, he won't be so arrogant.