Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lowrance hds10 how good are they?

mandyp

• 2 weeks later...

I've been offered this unit at around 1000 used (few months), are these units good? Ilove garmins-easy to use and I have an older raymarine and was looking to update when this one became available. Any suggestion or recomendations. Does anyone have experience with lowrance GPS.

Mandy, my experence is with older units, lcx 15 and such, and they were good. I have read good things about the new units, they may not be rated as high as the Garmin but I like what I have read, no personal experience. If you decide not to get this unit, I will be glad to buy it and let you know how it works. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been offered this unit at around 1000 used (few months), are these units good? Ilove garmins-easy to use and I have an older raymarine and was looking to update when this one became available. Any suggestion or recomendations. Does anyone have experience with lowrance GPS.

Mandy

I have 2 Lowrance units on my boat and have never had a problem. Like any electronic equipment.. Make sure it works before you buy... Have it tested.

I have an HDS-8 (essentially the same unit) and I've been very happy with it - no problems to report. IMO it's one of the best fishfinders on the market for the money, exceptional detail. Get a unit with Insight it provides good depth and detail. It's also a very user friendly unit and the display can be clearly seen even in the direct sunlight.

Call Jim at BOE Marine he sells both Garmin and Lowrance, he will shoot it to you straight.

Edited by BottomFeeder

I just installed an HDS 8 this past weekend. While I have not yet tried it out on the water, the screen is very bright with high contrast and the built-in map detail appears to be great. The software updating process from an SD card was as easy as could be. I am looking forward to trying the unit out on the water and to learning the menus and functions.

I agonized for months before buying an HDS 8. I had a low end Garmin unit that served me well but was a poor fishfinder. For me fishfinder capability is most important and the unit seems to excell in that area. The sidescan functionality sold it for me since I often fish the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and I want to see between and around the pilings.

An HDS 10 for $1000 would be a good buy assuming the unit is working normally.

I put two HDS 10 UNITS ON MY BOAT. They are great units. If you add the Sirus Weather you will not believe how great they are. Everything you need at a touch of the finger. So clear you think you are in the water, the sun has very little effect on the screen.I would not ever want radar on my boat as long as the SIRUS WEATHER is on the boat. Storms, water temp. , wind ,all at a touch of the finger. When you get ready to leave the dock just scan out to where you want to go. the water conditions are right on the screen with Sirus Weather. The sonar works into water depth to about 2000 ft. Lowrance has developed the unit of the future. Sirus Weather has made every fisherman safer. Storms show up no matter where you are & show direction of travel & how strong they are. Unlike radar the Sirus Weather has no limit of distance. Go on a boat with this feather & you will be amazed.