Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailer upgrade

Rusty

Sorry but when you get a flat on a trailer its normally a comlete shred job and nothing a little can of fix a flat would cure. I would add the second axle but also upgrade the wheels. Looks like you have 14 or 15" wheels. Get 16" rims then you can get big 10 ply 80 psi tires. You will never worry again about the trailer. I wish I would have gotten the 14 ply 125 psi tires when I ordered my trailer. My next set of tires will be though.

Edited by TwentyFourSeven

I investigated adding a second axle to a trailer frame once and the manufacturer went ballistic and would not provide the additional parts. Liability was the issue (their legal liability, that is). Their position was that everything else about the trailer was not designed for the change from single to dual axle, so they would not have any part of it. If I wanted a dual axle trailer, I should buy a dual axle trailer. After thinking about it, it seemed like reasonable advice, particularly since I didn't really need dual axles at the time.

Anyone ever upgraded a single axle trailer to a tamdam axle? I have a Wesco alumium, bunk, float on. I think D or E rated tires. Have a 20' MayCraft CC. Boat weighs 2000# + about 800# fuel, people and gear. I worry each time I trailer the boat to the marina, about 15 miles. Is it worth it to add another axle? If it makes a difference I pull the boat with a 2001 Tacoma V6.

Just thinking safty.

In my personal experience you have a sound set up so long as you keep the bearing buddies greased, tire pressure accurate and avoid hot rodding.

One addition you may want to consider is adding power trailer brakes. It makes the handling more controllable and saves your truck brakes.

In many states like Connecticut-it is law that you have brakes with a Tandem.

You may also consider a lower or higher hitch to balance the load accurately. Too low and the trailer "tugs" Too high and it pulls up. You can find all different sized hitches at a larger Wal-Mart cheap. This is definitely a trial and error effort. Try shifting stuff around in the boat as well to help balance.

Always remember to rinse your trailer as soon as you get home if has been submerged in salt water.

When I dunk a trailer, I never let the wheels go in more than half way.

Edited by artofdetailing

Thanks guys. Alot of good advice here. Plenty to think about. I forgot to mention it but shredding was a concern. After looking at the trailer closely, no room for a second axle. I keep good tires and proper inflation (80#)and don't dirve over 50-50 mph. I'm surprised the Tacoma pulls that load as well as it does.

Thanks again