Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailer upgrade

Rusty

Anyone ever upgraded a single axle trailer to a tamdam axle? I have a Wesco alumium, bunk, float on. I think D or E rated tires. Have a 20' MayCraft CC. Boat weighs 2000# + about 800# fuel, people and gear. I worry each time I trailer the boat to the marina, about 15 miles. Is it worth it to add another axle? If it makes a difference I pull the boat with a 2001 Tacoma V6.

Just thinking safty.

It will be night and day difference it will also take a lot of the tongue weight of the truck also. I would recommenced it if possible.

Anyone ever upgraded a single axle trailer to a tamdam axle? I have a Wesco alumium, bunk, float on. I think D or E rated tires. Have a 20' MayCraft CC. Boat weighs 2000# + about 800# fuel, people and gear. I worry each time I trailer the boat to the marina, about 15 miles. Is it worth it to add another axle? If it makes a difference I pull the boat with a 2001 Tacoma V6.

Just thinking safty.

You probably don't need another axle but as mentioned, it will take some weight away from the truck and maybe make for a more stable ride. You will now have 4 bearings and tires to maintain but they will probably last longer since they are dividing the load.

If you have brakes on the existing axle, I would think you could leave that alone and not need them on the added one. Assuming they are adequate now. Just make sure the lines are clear when you mount the new axle. You may need to do some moving around.

You could probably contact the trailer manufacturer to find out recommended placement for the axles if they offer a similar size trailer with dual axles.

Just thinking safty.

What safety issue do you worry about? The trailer pictured appears to be a good match for your boat. What is the trailer's load carrying capacity? Adding an axle to your existing trailer frame is a question for Wesco ... call them to satisfy your curiosity. I suspect that you'll be told that you don't need to ... nor can you properly do so. The 2nd axle would add load carrying capacity, but do you need that?

The 2nd axle would add weight to your rig (consider wheels, tires, brakes and suspension components too) making it just that much heavier for your tow vehicle. Properly set up with a fixed percentage of the total trailer weight on your trailer tongue, adding an axle will actually increase your tongue weight and the corresponding load on your hitch. For the sake of example: assume that your boat and trailer combination weighs 5,000 lbs. and that you're set up with 10% of that as your tongue weight (500 lbs.) and the remaining 4,500 lbs. supported by your trailer's axle. If you add 500 lbs. for a 2nd axle with all it's components, your boat and trailer combination now weighs 5,500 lbs. To maintain the same 10% tongue weight distribution, your tongue weight will be increased to 550 lbs. (50 lbs. more than it was before). If you're concerned about your trailer's tongue weight, you may adjust it by moving your boat's position on the trailer, moving the axle's position on the trailer frame, or doing a little bit of both. No worries!

Leaf springs on the trailer. Room for another axle. I think so. have to take a closer look at that. I'll verify capacity and post some pics.

I hate to think of a tire blowing out at 55 mph or changing a flat on the side of the road. Always carry a new spare and tire changing equpment. But I don't pull but about 15 miles to the marina. Good feed back guys. never thought about calling Wesco.

Perhaps I'm being to cautious. I make it a point to keep good tires w/proper inflation on the trailer.

OK--I'm thinkng twice about the idea. I can spend the money on more fishing equipment. Yea, thats it, more fishing stuff. You know you never have enough. you have given more confidence in my set up.

Thanks for your knowlege and great feed back.

Safe and Happy Hollidays to you and yours

I have been towing a 2,500lb boat on a single axle for over seven years with no problems. That's about 175 trips a year @ 25 miles round trip.

,,,even went to the keys twice with it. Don't worry about it.

Just keep an eye on the color of your grease in the hubs and the rust on the springs, and DONT buy cheap tires!!!

Changing a flat in an unsafe spot is no one's idea of fun ... getting down the road quickly with this stuff is sometimes a good option. Now go buy that fishing tackle.

I purchased a heavy duty plug kit from my local fastener hardware store, and after 3 screws/nails in my tires, it has paid for itself from what it would normally cost me to get a tire plugged.... From what I am told, Fix a Flat is very bad, especially with the newer vehicles with a tire pressure monitoring system. The kit I purchased has thirty kits, and a heavy duty tools vs what you can buy in a gas station... If anyone wants the make/manufacture of the plug kit just let me know.

David