Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Atlas Jackplates

Luda,

You have to figure Bob's, T-H, Detwiler, etc., are aware of the upcoming HP increases, and thus will be offering the 400HP rating you're looking for. But since no 400HP motors are out there right now, I can't see them offering that rating at the present time. Who knows, some idiot will think that he can get away with twin 200s, then sue the manufacturer for "false advertising"...and win the case!

I really think that jack plate ratings are more a weight thing than an HP issue. I'm sure someone out there has thrown a Yam 350 on a jack plate (804 lbs. dry). And remember, a 400HP Vrod or Suzy will be the same motor(s) as the 350 and 300, repectively.

When we get the 400s, I'm sure Bob's and the rest will show up with the corresponding ratings.

BTW, we had to redrill a Bob's to accomodate a 250 Vrod. We usually do Optis with a jack plate, first request for a Vrod.

Edited by 250 Osprey

The dreaded "Call for Price". Safe to say it's probably at least $1,200.00 and some change.

Actually, price wise, that's not too bad. What we pay for a 300 rated, 6" setback, well, what we charge would be comparable. And they're offering a 12" setback...

But materials, labor? Doesn't justify the price diff. Testing, to ensure a warranty they can offer? Now, there's some cost in that... :504_shrugging:

Bob's wouldn't want a Midnight Express redux, would they? :1143_neener_neener_neener: :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Edited by 250 Osprey

14 inches is a whole bunch of setback for a heavy or high horsepower jackplate. It looks like the higher setback jackplates have triangulation or plates on them to stop them from moving from side to side, but even then you are going to be putting some serious torque loads on the transom. At anything over 80 mph, I'd rather see a 4 inch setback jackplate mounted on a 10 inch bracket that had a larger foot print so the localized forces were better distributed. A little side to side engine movement at 50 is annoying, but at a 100 it can cause the boat to chine faster than you can correct it. Knocking down chine walk is "interesting". If you happen to be correcting starboard and the boat is moving to port, you're OK, but if your steering and the chine walk are both going the same way at the same time, it is very easy to "fall out" of the boat. Here's a shot of a 25 DCB with a fabricated bracket that does a decent job of spreading the load over the transom. It does not have jackplates, but look at the stern shot and you'll get the idea: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6840

Edited by kerno

14 inches is a whole bunch of setback for a heavy or high horsepower jackplate. It looks like the higher setback jackplates have triangulation or plates on them to stop them from moving from side to side, but even then you are going to be putting some serious torque loads on the transom. At anything over 80 mph, I'd rather see a 4 inch setback jackplate mounted on a 10 inch bracket that had a larger foot print so the localized forces were better distributed. A little side to side engine movement at 50 is annoying, but at a 100 it can cause the boat to chine faster than you can correct it. Knocking down chine walk is "interesting". If you happen to be correcting starboard and the boat is moving to port, you're OK, but if your steering and the chine walk are both going the same way at the same time, it is very easy to "fall out" of the boat. Here's a shot of a 25 DCB with a fabricated bracket that does a decent job of spreading the load over the transom. It does not have jackplates, but look at the stern shot and you'll get the idea: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6840

I hear what your saying. It dawned on me the other day that this jack plate was going to be the single most critical issue in building my boat. It appears that the Stroker owner consensus is to use a Detwiler 8" hydraulic with a 6 inch manual Hydro Tech. Kerno...they say the negative trim also helps with the hole shot. Can 2-4 degrees make that much difference before you get on top and start trimming??? The thing that gets me with this setup is all the bolts and hardware, too many things that can go wrong. "Falling out" of my boat at 80+ mph is real low on my bucket list.

Jasonspics1151.jpg

Edited by Ludicrous