Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mann's Stretch Lures

Looking to add a few of the Mann's Stretch lures to run on a two long lines.

Was looking at getting a couple a Stretch 12 or Stretch 18 and a Stretch 25 either in the #10(Pearl/Black) or the #81(Red Head) colors.

Thought I would post it up and see what yall use and if you tie on heavy floro or wire leader.

Not targeting any specific, just wanting something different mixed in with my pirate plug/cigar minnows.....

What say ye............

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations.........

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mainly run them in the Ches Bay for stripers and just tie straight to the lure. Been thinking of adding them when trolling for other fish with a wire leader. They do work good on the stripers though. Normally use the Stretch 20 and 25's gold/black and red head do have a few other colors but those are the proudcers for me.

I like the the red heads and chartreuse in the gulf panhandle. I use monel soft wire crimped, with a swivel on both ends. The 20 and 25 footers are what i pull.

I wouldnt pull them without wire, no telling what kind of toothy creature will hit'em. You can go heavy floro, but to me, it seems they dont track as true. IMO going with the Monel, crimped around a swivel and threaded onto the eye, the action is unaffected. Crimping the skinny stuff is a pain, but I dont like loosing plugs either.

Usually pull a 30 with 6 to 12 inch of wire, 20ft of mono for stretch and braid, along with the other spread for dolphin. Use it as short rig so it will run under the other lines since I don't have outriggers. Have ended up with kingfish, barracuda when trolling off the reef in 150-600 ft. Closer in (reefs edge) I've attracted Spanish Mackeral, hence the need for wire.

One problem I did have is leaving them on the boat last summer and ended up with long cracks in the (painted?? or plastic film) finish that I figure was due to the heat. For grouper you can use pretty much what you want, but I like a mono leader to absorb the shock of a hit when I'm using braid. Use the same scenario when using a 25 or 15. Another rumor I heard is that Manns was sold to someone else and they're not the same now as they used to be. Have no idea if true or not.

I also gave a 30 to a friend who uses it to catch large walleye by trolling over deep areas. Not uncommon to get 6-11 lb walleyes.

If you are looking at pulling the shallower stretches, I would get yozuri DD crystal minnows instead. These lures are great. You can pretty much catch anything that swims on one. I don't use wire with mine. I crimp a flouro leader with a loop in the end to the lure. This doesn't put any pressure on the bait and swims true.

J.