Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Electric Boat Winch Power

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Gorilla winch rated at 10,500# and used it all last season on 20' Stingray about 2,600#. It worked fine without ever using a snatch hook/pulley.

The winch requires power out (no free spool) so launching or retrieving takes about 2 minutes. You can only for crank 1 minute duration under LOAD before taking a short break to allow cooling. The winch hauled my boat out each time and is great at low tide. I do not like submerging the trailer off the end of a slimy salt water ramp eroded by power loading. More than one person commented "that's a hell of a winch".

The winch makes retrieval easy. I mounted a car battery in a tool box (with padlock) on the trailer for handy power without extensive heavy guage wiring of the tow vehicle.

I also remounted the hand winch on the "tree" for triple redundancy.

Jim at BOE marine sells the Powerwinch series. Their model 315, rated for 4,000 lbs costs only $168. Pretty good for a limited budget.

I used a 6 guage extension cord and ran it under my buddys Expedition, securing it properly. I fused it at the battery for 30 amps. It works well on his 19' hydra sports rolled gunnel boat.

Some of these units come with 20 - 25' of cable with alligator clips for attaching to the battery. We wanted a more permanent installation.

Edited by triumphrick

• 4 weeks later...

I too use a powerwinch RC 30 and have the remote option so when I am driving and I notice the winch looks loose, I grab the remote and tuck it up a bit w/o slowing down while driving... I have used it for two boats since 1996.

MVC-015S.JPG

I have the power winch with a strap, not a fan of cables and salt water

I hear that... I'm going to switch out the cable with a strap this spring. Too many burrs on the cable after use since 1996...

You guys dont have drive on trailers?

Many times I launch and recover by myself and find it harder to drive onto the trailer, climb under the bow rail and onto the trailer tongue.

I can clip the hook on the bow eye from the dock and let her drift or push her to the opening of the trailer and hit the remote... cranks right up... then I can safety chain it before going up the ramp...

The first time I used the hand winch to crank up the boat I broke the winch. I bought the PowerWinch that afternoon. never looked back. As I stated, nice to see the boat behind me and if it loosens up, hit the remote and snug it up while running the highway...