Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Battery replacement for ACR EPIRB

Not trying to get critical of a mfgr but of the practice of charging high prices to replace a battery because it will be exposed to salt water and possibly submerged is IMHO highway robbery. I saw the same scenario for dive computers (not the real old Scubapro mechanical ones) where you had to pay through the nose to get a battery replaced because they said your life depends on it. Your life really could depend on dive computers but factory only battery changes luckily went away and newer computers that function well beyond safe diving depth limits (something that an EPIRB would never see let alone work at) have user replaceable batteries. Ditto for dive lights, underwater cameras and flash units.

I've never seen EPIRB warranties but a guess tells me they would leave out warranting a specific part and that it's your responsibility to verify that it's still functional.

PS what I've just posted would not preclude me from buying an EPIRB, but the practice of taking advantage of buyers does. They might test the unit as well, but still the price seems high.

LD

No doubt it's a rip-off, but when you look at it from the point of view that it only has to be changed every 5 years, and it can save your life it works out to $60 a year, to me it's just one of those wonderful things that a boat owner spends money on. The paper air filters on my Volvo diesels are $50 each X2 and usually get changed twice season that price for a paper filter annoys me more! I see your point though.

Ditto again The cost is for total update and lasts 5 years. You could go buy a new one for more if you want. All these things batteries, flares, filters, zincs, canvas, lines get averaged out to a cost that if we knew before hand would have never gotten involved with boating in the first place

What's always puzzled me about this is that in the consumer electronics/computer world, every time some ditzy manufacturer comes out with these "non user replaceable" batteries, within about two weeks a whole bunch of guys have hacked the battery replacement, and post sources for the batteries, pix of the dis and re-assembly, etc. Why not in the marine world? I know these are "safety related," but still that's never stopped the hackers in most areas. Why not with the marine? And it's not the same as trying to repack your own liferaft. Battery is just a battery, and then there is the seal issue to contend with. But still, should still be possible.

McMurdo/Revere just took a step backward with their last new PLB. The two models before had user-replaceable batteries. The new one does not. Of course the new one is about 60% the price of the old ones, so maybe paying more for battery reinstall is reasonable.

KPS wrote: "What's always puzzled me about this is that in the consumer electronics/computer world, every time some ditzy manufacturer comes out with these "non user replaceable" batteries, within about two weeks a whole bunch of guys have hacked the battery replacement, and post sources for the batteries, pix of the dis and re-assembly, etc. Why not in the marine world? I know these are "safety related," but still that's never stopped the hackers in most areas. Why not with the marine? And it's not the same as trying to repack your own liferaft. Battery is just a battery, and then there is the seal issue to contend with. But still, should still be possible."

Gosh, that sound kind of reasonable.

About a year ago I noticed my older (non-GPS) Alden Cat 1 406 EPIRB's battery was about to expire, then found that Alden no longer was in the EPIRB biz. Checking with a couple survival equipment companies gave me quotes of maybe $400+ give or take to replace the battery which seemed likely to include a bit of generous profit margin.

I did a little sleuthing which included opening up the EPIRB case inspecting the lithium battery and tracking down the battery mfgr in France, as I remember, & then their replacement distributor in the US. Bottom line is, after a good bit of internet searching and several calls to very helpful folks in the lithium battery biz, I purchased the exact same model battery made by the same original company for about $160 and it included a new exact replacement EPIRB-case thin o-ring and a packet of dielectric lube & possibly an (anti?)dessicant pack for installation as well, not sure now . It was the same kit the EPIRB servicing outfits use. and it came with clear instructions.

Opening the case (on a very low-humidity day), cleaning everything carefully, carefully replacing the battery and o-ring and carefully putting the case together may have taken 10-15 minutes and having done it once I might have done it in 1 or 2 or 3, using just a couple size screwdrivers. I just made very sure the greased thin o-ring remained perfectly seated in it's lip without being dislodged or crushed -easy. Thinking about it, there may have been both a large & small o-ring , replaced easily. Performed routine test procedure we are all supposed to do periodically and observed the proper indication , "safed" the unit and was done. Before I reinstalled the Alden on it's bracket I checked the exp. date on the hydrostatic release module and replaced that with an identical one by HAMMAR easily located on the internet. (http://www.cmhammar.com/Products_epirbs.aspx ) I think that was just under $90.

I had been told by at least survival equip shop to "never open the EPIRB as there were no user serviceable parts in there" and if I was not careful with special knowledge & tools it would be easy to ruin this particular device and make it worthless. This turned out to be a rather impressive untruth and the process was easier than the last time I changed a battery on a Timex Ironman watch (easy). The rep I talked to & purchased from at one of, if not the, largest US distributors of lithium battery packs in the US, told me there was a good chance I might have to employ an included alternative connector that would involve clipping off the end of the lead on the battery pak he would send , then soldering & heat shrinking the new lead-end & connector, but it turned out the connector on the new pak was just right for easiest installation- (quick-connect). It would have been a simple process if necessary. It was long enough ago I honestly don't remember where I ordered the pak from but I can't imagine it would be too hard for interesed parties to track down the original supplier of most of these batteries. The original or present mfgr.'s supplier may be important to get a kit meant for that particular EPIRB with proper o-ring(s), etc. . The service shops woudn't sell one to me as I recall, or perhaps one did finally get back to me & said he might for $400 or so, not sure now.

Granted, some of the EPIRB-servicing shops probably do have & use diagnostic electronics & 406-121.5 MHz receivers to detect the transmission signals from these units after replacing the battery, but I don't believe that takes hours of shop time , and the units do have self-testing mode to indicate working condition. It's quite possible that at least some units , especially ones with internal GPS receivers, may be able to be & eligible for SW updating.

How many boaters send their EPIRBS for diagnostic tests when they 1st purchase them? ( This may be done by the raft shops if you buy it there originally . From what I was originally advised agaainst my opening the Alden, I wouldn't be too surprised if the test before sale by some of these places is simply the routine owner's check to see if the light blinks correctly. ) Have you ever seen a mfgr's public release notification of available SW update that should be sought out (other than the fact the original McMurdo GPS/PLBs wouldn't acquire for pre-positioning data and were recalled )? I don't think I have but that doesn't mean much.

This DIY seemed like a reasonable option to me , especially as I have another Cat 1 (w/GPS) , a PLB and even just ordered the "free promo" SPOT device. I was going to toss the old one if I couldn't replace the battery myself and just install the newer ACR GlobalFix Cat 1 I have, so I figured there was nothing to lose by opening the old one up. it turned out the new one doesn't fit on the side of the tower console like the old one , so I'm glad I checked it out & re-powered it. I anm quite sure opening & replacing the battery on this one compromised nothing.

I am definitely not advocating servicing your own EPIRB, as these are of course emergency rescue beacons you could be betting your crew an own life on . Your device may be different and you may have no interest in DIY for any number of good & valid reasons. I'm just glad I delved into the replacement issues for my Alden to shovel through some of the BS.

KPS- Hope this helps a little.