Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

When are there too many lights above the waterline

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<!--quoteo(post=25415:date=Nov 21 2009, 08:05 PM:name=auguste)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (auguste @ Nov 21 2009, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=25415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Incredible

Whjere do you get all this information?

Please share. Thanks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chapman Piloting, under "Lights for Naval Vessels."

Chapman Piloting is a great site you can also use NAVRULES.com they have interactive quizzes to test your ability. Hovercraft have a flashing light when on cushion, you chesapeake guys see them alot we operate all over the bay LCAC's that is and a submarine would show a special flashing light the only difference between the two are the flashes per minute. If you really want to put your self to sleep get yourself a copy of Rules of the Road produced by the CG money back guarantee to put you to sleep by the 10th page.

I'll tell yall a story about nav lights.

About 20 years ago my wife and I were delivering a large sailing yacht from Marco Island to Antigua. It was about 0400 and we were somewhere off Cuba, my wife had the helm and I was asleep. She woke me up hollering to get my @ss on deck, something was wrong. She pointed out a large vessel crossing ahead of us from port to starboard, about a mile off. She had set course to clear it well astern, but it was flashing it's deck lights and blowing it's horn in bursts of 3. I looked at the ship in my sleepy state and immediately noticed 3 white masthead lights. I had learned all my nav lights by rhymes. 3 whites in a row, I've got a long tow! We had 4 sails set on the big cutter and was making about 12 kts. I looked left and saw a solid wall of black, blocking the sky! Then I saw the phosphorescence of a towing hawser a few hundred yards ahead! I told her to gybe, NOW. NOW! She spun the wheel and I started cutting sheets. When the boat finally turned, the tow missed us by less than 20 feet. It was an ocean going barge of several hundred feet with no lights on it. It would have crushed us like a bug.

It's real important to know all the nav lights!! I didn't sleep again until we made port in Antigua and by the time we got there my wife knew every nav light possible.

Here are a few rhymes to help remember.. Sorry, I'll continue later.

I'll tell yall a story about nav lights.

About 20 years ago my wife and I were delivering a large sailing yacht from Marco Island to Antigua. It was about 0400 and we were somewhere off Cuba, my wife had the helm and I was asleep. She woke me up hollering to get my @ss on deck, something was wrong. She pointed out a large vessel crossing ahead of us from port to starboard, about a mile off. She had set course to clear it well astern, but it was flashing it's deck lights and blowing it's horn in bursts of 3. I looked at the ship in my sleepy state and immediately noticed 3 white masthead lights. I had learned all my nav lights by rhymes. 3 whites in a row, I've got a long tow! We had 4 sails set on the big cutter and was making about 12 kts. I looked left and saw a solid wall of black, blocking the sky! Then I saw the phosphorescence of a towing hawser a few hundred yards ahead! I told her to gybe, NOW. NOW! She spun the wheel and I started cutting sheets. When the boat finally turned, the tow missed us by less than 20 feet. It was an ocean going barge of several hundred feet with no lights on it. It would have crushed us like a bug.

It's real important to know all the nav lights!! I didn't sleep again until we made port in Antigua and by the time we got there my wife knew every nav light possible.

Here are a few rhymes to help remember.. Sorry, I'll continue later.

How do some of you guys remember this stuff.

I'm back. This is how I remember my lights:

Red over Red, the captain is dead. Not under command

3 Reds in a row's got nowhere to go. Constrained by draft

White over Red, pilot ahead. Pilot vessel

White over white, towing tonight. Short tow, pushing or pulling

3 whites in a row has a long tow. Over 100 meters, could be 3 miles!!

Red over white is fishing this night. Any fishing other than trawling

Green over white is trawling tonight. Pulling nets

Red over green is a sailing machine

2 reds over white ran aground this night.

Red, white, red, divers ahead

3 reds under white is in a plight. Restricted in ability to maneuver.

Quick flashing yellow a hovercraft fellow.

3 blips of yellow a submariner fellow.

If you see yellow smoke a sub is broke. Distressed, submerged sub.

I'll add others as they come to mind, but this helps me instantly know what I'm looking at, and sometimes instantly is a good thing!

Edited by Cracker Larry