Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

When are there too many lights above the waterline

Blue lights are limited to the coasties and other law enforcement . . . thay don't want to share that colour :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Red and green lights have specific significances as do white lights

At what point will we get stopped for having too many lights of any type above the water line?

Edited by auguste

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect a stop to be made if the nav lights were significantly less noticable due to the other onboard illumination. Also if there was so much "light pollution" that it was imparing navigation by other vessels by blinding those operators.

There probably isn't a specific reg. or statute on this but hazardous operation could be stretched to fit.

Why do you ask? You aren't getting scared of the dark are you? (Kidding !!)

Kamper . . . love that response :)

With the new used boat we plan to do a lot of night fishing . . . I want to add red under the gunnel LEDs and at other places for security purposes such as at the bow for the anchor and around the ladder to the flybridge

I am wondering at what point they will say that is too much lighting

Welder . . . the new used boat has seven spreader lights . . . but not quite a cruise ship :)

I ride around with blue LEDs lighting up the inside of my boat and blue under water LEDs lighting up the water on a regular basis. Never been stopped.

I don't think the CG or police care as long as the lights aren't flashing and/or above the gunnel.

Edited by ScarabChris