Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Sea School vs. Mariners School

Reel Dawg,

what was the review course you took for? Did you have to take the Captains test again?

what about the drug test for the renewal, did you have to pay to have it done again. I ask because I will have to renew next year.

From what I read lately, the whole process has been moved to a new facility in West Virginia, or Virginia.

Sorry to all if I said the TWIC had to be laminated,,,, I meant the 8.5 x 11 catains license. I did read that they had gone to the passport style ID , Great Idea

Glad to hear you got yours so quickly.

Tight Lines to all!

Capt Bud Wegner

Capt. Bud -

The Captain's License expires every five years. It appears to me that the easiest way to get the license renewed is to go through a one day long refresher course from Sea School or one of the other CG approved learning operations (I assume they all operate about the same). The course is really an alternative to documenting at least 360 days of sea time. The day winds up with a test, which you are almost guaranteed to pass. A physical exam is usually available during the day for a fee ($45, as I remember). Check to make sure about this, otherwise you will have to get the physical exam report done on your own. You then get a completion certificate which you send to the CG along with the rest of the paperwork. As far as the drug test is concerned, I am enrolled in the Sea School random drug testing program, so all I needed was a recent certificate of compliance. Otherwise, you need a recent drug test - within six months, I think.

To me, the bottom line is that the refresher course, especially if it includes a physical at the same time, is by far the easiest way to renew.

And yes, the CG office overseeing all of this has moved to Martinsburg, West Virginia. Your paperwork is sent to one of the regional CG offices where it is reviewed and sent to WV if complete. The renewed license comes out of WV.

Hope this helps!

I posted this on another forum too so some of you may see this twice. I figre more info is better so...........

I am looking to get my Captain's license and have been trying to get real feedback on both of these schools. I don't need "I hated it don't take it" without real reasons to explain why. Anyone who has taken either, please chime in with your experiences from them. I would prefer the online course as my shcedule is rediculous right now and taking time off for class time is near impossible.

I know there have been many threads but I am looking for people's most recent experiences if possible from the actuall classes, study materials, forms, school personel and dealing with the USCG to get the actual license.

I have been procrastinating for years and its time to step up to it.

TIA Guys

I took mine through SeaSchool. I liked the format of getting it done in just over a week......sat and sun 9 to 5, mon thru fri 6 to 10, and then sat and sun 9 to 5....(something like that)......then the following saturday we took the test.....done.

That being said, I have heard good things about both......I would say do what ever fits your schedule......and, by the way, I suggest definately doing it, even if you never plan on using it. I personaly learned a lot.......

I took mine through SeaSchool. I liked the format of getting it done in just over a week......sat and sun 9 to 5, mon thru fri 6 to 10, and then sat and sun 9 to 5....(something like that)......then the following saturday we took the test.....done.

That being said, I have heard good things about both......I would say do what ever fits your schedule......and, by the way, I suggest definately doing it, even if you never plan on using it. I personaly learned a lot.......

My current schedule makes it impossible to do the full week deal. I wish I could. That's why I was looking at the online course. I can make that fit my schedule a lot easier.

A lot of good replies here. looks like both are good options.

Thanks to all so far and anyone else out there who wants to put their experiences on here.

My current schedule makes it impossible to do the full week deal. I wish I could. That's why I was looking at the online course. I can make that fit my schedule a lot easier.

A lot of good replies here. looks like both are good options.

Thanks to all so far and anyone else out there who wants to put their experiences on here.

Did you look into this online school?

http://www.marinersecampus.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1