Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lets Talk Batteries

I have been using the AC Delco Voyager Marine/RV All Purpose batteries for many many years. My first set of 3 lasted about 9 years! No lie. The one's that I have now are on their 8th year. All three I did the load test on and they passed with no signs of dying!

I purchased these from K-Mart but they quit carrying them many years ago. Trying to find them now will be a challenge. I think that AC Delco distributors now are only via the GM dealerships or some special auto parts jobbers. When the time comes to replace them, I will pursue finding who carries them and go for them again. Hoping that the quality has not changed.

I take regular care of these batteries making sure that they are charged at least once per month on average when not in season. They are maintenance free and all I have to do is keep them clean and charged. The green eye indicator always works as well telling me when to charge!

Just in case anyone cares to give them a try, that is my testimonial and I just wish I could fit them in my truck and cars.

WOW!!...I thought I was reading about myself, til you said 3 batteries!!...I bought 2 of those from K Mart about the same time you got yours and they're still HOT as ever...green "eye" still glows bright!!...mine stay plugged in to a Guest 20 amp on-board charger all the time and have since new...and like you, I'm hoping the new ones (if I ever have to buy 'em??) are as good as these...I'm still amazed!!...

My local mechanic is an AC/Delco dealer and says he can get 'em no problem...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My batteries are tough to get at to check the water, so I will be replacing both my cranking and house batteries with AGMs in the next couple of weeks. A number of people on this list and others seem to swear by the Sears Platinum PM-1s. Does anyone see any problem with using a PM-1 for starting and another PM-1 as the house battery?

I prefer AGMs - I like the Odysseys (or Sears Platinum - built by Odyssey as previously posted) - truly, I do not know about any bad AGMs out there. Cabela's had great rep, but I heard that shipping was having problems - batteries arriving damage more often than not, but have no recent news, hopefully they have it straightened out.

traditional wet cells are fine too, if you can get to them to check water levels. 2 things to remember with the wet cells. 1st there "gasses" are slightly corrosive - make sure the area where they are kept is well ventilated. There have been cases of console mounted batteries causing accelerated corrosion to wiring. 2nd, if you are going to switch to AGM - switch ALL to AGM (at least if they have the same charging source) They have different charging characteristics from wet cell. On my last boat, I did not need to change my charger settings - but read the material for your charger and the batteries

Put me down for the ol' cheap lead-acid Walmart batteries. I typically get three years out of a set. I don't pound my boat in rough water, so the lead acid plates seem to hold up fine. I can get to them when it's watering time, so thats not an issue for me. (HotSpot would not have that problem if he would make trollnheel do the maintenance :) )

Never heard a bad thing about the AGM batteries from anybody, by the way. I just don't think I need them.

Ditto and I have new Crusaders

I have a pair of Optima blue-tops in place right now that have given me stellar service for the past 6 years.

Still, I plan to replace the Optimas this season with a pair of group 31 Lifelines.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

The Optimas will be moved to my basement where they will be hooked to my battery powered sump pump in case of a power failure (which always seems to happen at the worst possible time). :(