Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lets Talk Batteries

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody asked about Cabelas.

1. Have had them. Work fine.

2. Excellent service from Cabelas.

3. Occ there is a sale and you can get discounted (or free) shipping.

4. Only 2 issues---Foreign made and weird terminal set up.

So far so good on mine but I have put a charger on the boat to keep them appropriately charged.

I have been using the AC Delco Voyager Marine/RV All Purpose batteries for many many years. My first set of 3 lasted about 9 years! No lie. The one's that I have now are on their 8th year. All three I did the load test on and they passed with no signs of dying!

I purchased these from K-Mart but they quit carrying them many years ago. Trying to find them now will be a challenge. I think that AC Delco distributors now are only via the GM dealerships or some special auto parts jobbers. When the time comes to replace them, I will pursue finding who carries them and go for them again. Hoping that the quality has not changed.

I take regular care of these batteries making sure that they are charged at least once per month on average when not in season. They are maintenance free and all I have to do is keep them clean and charged. The green eye indicator always works as well telling me when to charge!

Just in case anyone cares to give them a try, that is my testimonial and I just wish I could fit them in my truck and cars.

My small boat doesn't warrant the cost of AGM's (will never go out of site of land); anyone use the marine batteries from Batteries Plus? I think they are made by Exide - wet cell/lead acid, group 24 1000 MCA/800 CCA $79. Seems like a good buy.

I had excide, but I am replacing with GRP 27 from Deca. Not unhappy, just redoing everything and have room for larger batteries.

I went to Excides between my old Delco Voyagers due to the claimed longevity for trolling motors. However, for some reason, they did not last much over a year on 2 of them. They would not hold a charge and would always be down when I needed them. The service center took them the first time and put them on a charge and said they were ok. I said, gee, I have been doing the same thing and have great chargers, but they would not believe me. So, I took them back the very next day and said here, I want my money back since I have not touched them for use and they are already testing low voltage overnight. Something was real wrong. Maybe I had a bad set since I haven't heard anyone else really complain, but they gave me my money and went with the Delco's I mentioned in my earlier post and still going. Just checked their charge today since I am prepping the boat and they only took about 15 min. to top off, so they are ready to go!

Well, I had to replace the 2 Exide Nautilus plus batteries in the KW after 18 months of use. Went to the local Sears and bought 2 Die Hards marine/rv group 27 for $89 each. Lets see how they do...Question- the KW does not have an onboard charger, should I add one? Is that better than the 'marine' charger that I connect directly to the batteries? Or is it just more convenient?

Thanks.

O2 came from the factory with Interstate Group 24s; they did well for three seasons and squeaked by for a fourth. My intent from the beginning when I ordered O2 was to use the factory batteries until their end of life and replace with Group 27s or Group 29s/31s

After pricing Interstate, Deka, and others (all of which are good batteries) I ended up buying Wal Mart "Everstart Max" Group 29s (which I believe are made by Johnson Controls). The price was HALF of comparable other brands of Group 29s, so I figured if I got three years out of them, I was still several dollars ahead.

I did a load bank test on them earlier this week; they passed with flying colors. Fourth season, here we come! Needless to say, they'll be load tested several times during the season, and if there's any sign of weakness, buh-bye!

No, I never considered AGMs. IMHO they're too picky about charging voltages and rates.

BTW O2 does have an onboard automatic charger - Guest 2610 or 2611; can't remember exactly which one. I actually had it on my 21'er before installing it on O2. To answer the previous poster's question, on O1 it was extremely nice to be able to plug in the charger and forget it vs. having to climb into the boat, pull the covers off the battery boxes and connect clamps each time....and then later have to switch them to the other battery....then later take them off and stow the charger. IIRC the automatic two-battery charger was only about $100.