Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lets Talk Batteries

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be watching this thread too.

I have 4 batteries.

1>Dedicated starting battery for a Yamaha F200

1>Dedicated deep cycle battery for house circuit (can be combined with engine circuit via a switch)

2>Deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor

My feeling is all four need to be replaced, but I have not checked them yet, it is on my spring check list.

Checking the water in these batteries is a royal pain. They are installed in boxes, which I prefer, and are in hard to reach areas.

Definitely want to go AGM and am leaning towards the DIE HARD from Sears, which is the only AGM I can purchase locally.

Also how well do these AGM batteries work with a trolling motor?

They provide more "up/down" cycles than any other deep cycle trolling batteries. The Trojan brand AGM is one of, if not the most most popular trolling battery among tournament bass anglers and they use their trolling motors a LOT.

I guess it depends on how much you use your trolling motor to justify the cost of AGMs. I have a set of Bass Pro size 33 deep cycle trolling batteries that I bought 5 years ago. Last time out, they were okay, but I could tell they had lost some punch. They were only $70 each and have held up good, I do not use the trolling motor heavily for hours at time either and very seldom have I ran them all the way down. I charge them after every use with an onboard 20 amp Pro-Mariner.

My trolling motor batteries are under the front casting deck. It is a bear just to check the water and it takes 12 beers just to get limber enough to try it!!

Decisions, decisions...... :471_confused_face:

I use your standard lead/acid deep cycle batteries. I have 2 group 31 batteries and its more than enough power. And my boat is a power hog with the stereo system and electric head. I get about a year and a half out of one and a year out of the other. The house battery goes faster.

Lead seems like pretty simple stuff and is easy to recycle. A lot of recycled lead is contaminated with other metals like zinc and antimony. Odyssey is the only battery company I know of that owns their own mines and uses 100 percent new lead. I am not all that fussy about car batteries, but Odysseys are in my console. Longest life, highest electical capacity per pound and very resitant to shock damage. The best part is tha Sears sells them for less under their own label.