Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

trolling motor/battery ?

I am considering getting a 24V trolling motor. Right now, I have two batteries on board. One is a regular cranking battery, and the other is a combo deep cycle/cranking. I also have a 1/2/both/off battery switch.

If I install the trolling motor, what am I going to need for a battery setup? Will I need a new deep cycle (or two)? Thanks for any input. I know nothing about this.

Yes, you need two deep cycle and hooked in series, that's how you get 24 volts. I have had that set up or years and now have a 101 lb thrust Minn Kota, 36 volt.

Deep cycle batteries must be fully charged after every use. I have a 3 bank on board charger that I plug in when I get home. I used a matching set of portable chargers for my 24 V system on my bass boat for 20 years. Either way works.

Note:

The batteries should be the same (Matched pair). DO NOT use different types, sizes, etc.

The distance from your batteries to the trolling motor is important. Most will recommend you have 6 ga. min wiring. The connections should be clean and tight.

All the info above is right on target...match two group 31 deep-cycle batteries, mount those batteries as close to the trolling motor as reasonably possible (too far forward will cause too much bumping/bouncing)...make sure your connections are GOOD and maintain them...and hook them up to a good, waterproof onboard charger...mine stays plugged in 24/7 until I'm ready to use the boat...my boat has 4 batteries and two onboard chargers...

Edited by reelapeelin

Use agm batteries. They take more abuse and can even be mounted in any position except upside down. They wont freeze in the winter and if maintained with a smart charger they will definately outlast wet cells. They are a little more money upfront but worth it on the back end.