Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Best non-skid wax/cleaner?

Once a year, in the spring, I clean the deck (diamond non-skid) with Softscrub Gel with Oxyclean. It is non-abrasive. After that, I use Woody Wax to coat the non-skid. I put it on with a damp deck brush, then buff it off with a softwash pad.

It is pricey, but I have been using the same bottle for 5 years, on my boat and several others. On my 23 foot bay boat, it takes only 9 squirts on a wet deck brush. I do it in thirds.

Every three months or so, I re-apply the Woody Wax after a normal wash with Orpine Boat Soap. The deck comes clean with little to no effort.

Woody Wax is one of the best boating products I have ever purchased. Never heard about until I found Wiley's site.

It truly does tremendously reduce the amount of elbow grease required to clean a bloody deck after a successful day on the water, and it does not reduce the effectiveness of the non-skid.

I use it on my rods and reels as well. After I clean them up each spring, I take a damp rag and spray a couple squirts of Woody Wax on it, and wipe down the reels and rods. Does wonders. I also use it on all metal surfaces of the boat and on the plexiglass window. Water beads off the windshield on my wet bay boat!

I am a believer in the product. Folks see my 2003 boat with 1300 hours on it and they always say, "Did you just get this boat?"

Some folks pick on us for keeping the boat clean and brite, we ain't fishermen, whatever. Obviously mine gets used quite a bit.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Woody Wax. I don't like cleaning products that have bleach in them cause I think the bleach may damage the caulking in my deck.

I clean my deck and while deck is wet I squirt about 5 or 6 trigger pulls of Woody's on my 30 footers deck and brush it around with a soft brush. Then I rinse the deck again with water. I may or may not then use a towel to dry off the deck - my choice. Drying the deck is better, but it still looks good if I let it dry on it's own.

Now when I go fishing the blood doesn't stick as much and the dirt is easier to rinse off and doesn't stick to the deck as easily.

Hotspot has it covered. But I have switched to Mary Kate Cleaning Detail for cleaning the non-skid, as it is less abrasive, and not as harsh as Soft Scrub. I find it does not take the wax off other surrounding areas when rinsed like the Soft Scrub will. Then follow up with small amounts of Woody Wax every 3-4 weeks. Used regularly, fish blood will rinse off relatively easy. I am also on my original bottle of Woody's purchased three years ago.

Starbrite w PFTE. West Marine carries it. Also found it at some Ace Hdwes a little cheaper.

LD

West marine (at least the WM's local to me) have it on sale this week for $4.99 a bottle. I picked up two today.

I saw it in the "10% off closeout" in Boaters World yesterday for $13.99 a bottle. So much for a "liquidation sale".

For cleaning blood and guts,, soft scrub gel, the works toilet bowl gel. Just squirt it directly on the deck, take a stiff brush and brusha, brusha, brusha. After brushing, rinse well. Woody Wax is hard to beat for a top side wax, simple to use. After rinsing, squirt a little down , then use a very soft brush to spread it around, brush the helm, inside gunnels. leaning post, hard top, splashwell, all the hard to get to spots, then rinse well.....

If you dont have blood and guts on deck then just wash with a car wash liquid with wax in it, KIT, Meguires, Turtle Wax, etc,,,,,,,,,