Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Good ole' Fashion Grilling Thread

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic autobaun. I have a couple of these threads printed out from other websites, and occasionally read over them for new grilling ideas.

Lately my favorite has been cooking marinated salmon on "planks" on the grill. I buy salmon from Publix that has already been marinated, and cook it about 15 minutes per inch of fillet on top of the board. No flipping, no muss, no fuss.

Found some small lobster tails on sale the other day at The Fresh Market. Melted a little butter, mixed in some pot-latch seasoning (thanks grgrmouse from ClassicMako!), split those bad boys on the underside, and smeared the mixture in. Cook them long enough to knock back a cold Natural Light, about ten minutes. Some of the best food I have had in a lonnngg time.

Man you guys are making me hungry...we latched in to a couple cobia a week or so ago and sliced up a couple of chops that we grilled with a pecan crust....heres the recipe for salmon...replaced with the cobia..

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

3 tablespoons butter, melted

5 teaspoons honey

1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

6 (4 ounce) fillets salmon

salt and pepper to taste

6 lemon wedges

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, butter, and honey. In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, pecans, and parsley.

Season each salmon fillet with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with mustard-honey mixture. Cover the top of each fillet with bread crumb mixture.

Bake for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at thickest part, or until salmon just flakes when tested with a fork. Serve garnished with lemon wedges

Lately my favorite has been cooking marinated salmon on "planks" on the grill. I buy salmon from Publix that has already been marinated, and cook it about 15 minutes per inch of fillet on top of the board. No flipping, no muss, no fuss.

We just picked up a pack of cedar planks from Costco meant for exactly that purpose. :605_thumbs_up: Probably gonna do up some salmon this weekend.

Years ago, I heard of a recipe for cooking carp on cedar planks. Marinate the carp in your favorite marinade overnight, get the grill good and hot, sprinkle on a little sea salt and fresh-ground pepper; cook it the same way - about 15 minutes per inch. Remove the carp from the plank, then.....

Throw the fish away and eat the plank. :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Texas Dove on the grill. 30 minutes after the bag limit is reached.

doves are one of my favorite on the grill, especially wrapped in bacon.

Did up a few chicken quarters for the in-laws & my parents. Got a nice medium charcoal fire going on the weber, and lightly oiled the chicken with olive oil, and seasoned with salt & pepper, as well as Cavender's (Salt Free) Seasoning. I typically start skin on chicken with the skin up for about 10 minutes, then flip it to the skin side for about 10 minutes, then flip again to finish, usually around 20-25 minutes. Starting with the skin away from the fire lets it get somewhat rubbery before the heat is applied, preventing it from sticking to the grill, when it is flipped it gets nice and crispy.

Beer can chicken. I put about 3-4 oz orange juice in the cans. Rub the chicken with Adobo and fresh ground black pepper. cook with indirect heat for about an hour. Check temp in thigh with meat thermometer to make sure it's done. Bigger birds might take 1.25 hours.

Breast comes out juicey as can be. In fact, when you carve the bird, juices will run so be prepared for the flood.

I also throw some apple wood chips in the smoke box when I'm doing them.

The only drawback to beer can chicken is the skin is kind of leathery tough.If you want the skin to be crisp, after the chicken is done take it off the can and throw it over direct heat, turning it every minute or two.

Beer can chicken. I put about 3-4 oz orange juice in the cans. Rub the chicken with Adobo and fresh ground black pepper. cook with indirect heat for about an hour. Check temp in thigh with meat thermometer to make sure it's done. Bigger birds might take 1.25 hours.

Breast comes out juicey as can be. In fact, when you carve the bird, juices will run so be prepared for the flood.

I also throw some apple wood chips in the smoke box when I'm doing them.

The only drawback to beer can chicken is the skin is kind of leathery tough.If you want the skin to be crisp, after the chicken is done take it off the can and throw it over direct heat, turning it every minute or two.

Always tough to beat a drunk chicken, I like the Adobo idea, never tried that one before.

Another good way to do a whole bird that I have come to like is to season it as you would for a drunk chicken, then place the entire bird breast side up in a cast iron skillet, and put on a 350-400 degree grill. You can also put apple chunks or herbs inside the cavity for added flavor. About half way through the cooking, baste the bird with the juices from the pan.