Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Good ole' Fashion Grilling Thread

My favorites on the grill:

Cobia: Rub with olive oil, sprinkle with cajun seasoning, and grill

Ribeyes: Sprinkle with Lawry's tenderizer, Lemon pepper, garlic powder, and pepper. Let sit until it reaches room temp & grill.

Note: NO SALT on beef until after it's cooked-it kills the moisture.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use to sell Holland Grills back in the day, and they have a very good seasoning salt to goes good with most all porks/beef. http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuse...ID/32/index.htm

I really like this stuff, especially on a Pork Tenderloin, or a Boston Butt. After cooking, i usually dip some of the meat in Basalmic Vinegar.

David

I like anything and everything on the grill. I am actually converting back to Charcoal, nothing like it.

that's me as well. I grew up cooking on a high dollar stainless gas grill, and now am using a weber kettle grill. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but all in all worth the effort IMO. The only thing I miss is being able to cook in 5 minutes for those quick meals that you don't have much time to prepare, but other than that I like it.

that's me as well. I grew up cooking on a high dollar stainless gas grill, and now am using a weber kettle grill. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but all in all worth the effort IMO. The only thing I miss is being able to cook in 5 minutes for those quick meals that you don't have much time to prepare, but other than that I like it.

If you are not already using one, chimney starters are great. Faster and cleaner the lighter fluid or ready light charcoal. You can start the coals and by the time you prep food coals are ready.

A shorter thread would be what isn't good on a grill.

Bone-in/skin on chicken breasts marinated in Mojo overnight, rubbed with olive oil just before the grill, and cooked with indirect heat for about an hour. I've also done them with an apple cider vinegrette and them rubbed with salt, pepper, and a mix of dried thyme and rosemary (freshly ground). Plain ol' Italian dressing works well also.

A really nice London broil marinated in Vermouth overnight (or longer), no other seasonings needed. Grill on medium heat until it is the way you want it, but no more than cooked to medium (cause that's the way you want it, and medium rare is more like you want it). Let rest 10-15 min before slicing.

Small whole mangrove snapper marinated for 30 min in Mojo. While marinating, very thinly slice onion, chop fresh cilantro, and slice a fresh lemon or lime. Rub outside with salt and pepper, stuff cavity with onion slices and cilantro. Grill with lemon or lime slices on top side, turning half way through.

Whole, untrimmed beef brisket. Rub with Cajun seasoning or a special blend of salt, fresh cracked black pepper, cayenne pepper, and other secret spices that I cannot divulge (I'm from Texas and BBQ is a state secret!) Use more pepper and cayenne than you think is enough. Wrap and put in fridge for 1-2 days. Pull brisket out and set on counter to come to room temp. Put on smoker at 200 to 250 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hrs/pound with fat side up. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing across the grain of the meat. I have done a trimmed brisket this way, but you have to use a mop sauce to keep it from drying out. Not sure if you could do this one on a grill, so it may not count.

Here is one that my wife loves. It ain't meat, so I won't touch it with anything other than my grill tools!

Slice an eggplant into 1/2" thick slices and marinate in Italian dressing while you are preparing the real stuff for the grill. Place on a medium grill for a couple of minutes on each side and serve like you would a burger. Don't over cook and definitely don't burn! The white part should be soft and creamy but not too limp.

A vegetarian friend of ours from Indiana cooked it for her one time and she has loved it every since, as has most of our friends who have tried it. It has never roamed around under its own power, so I'm not really interested :D