Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat Dealers

I just read a rant by a boat dealer who says he is tired to death of all the tire kickers and bottom feeders... He had a brokerage boat listed at 27,995 and he got an offer of 23K... He ranted on how he can't feed his kids when he sells a boat for less than the owners price plus his brokerage fee, and that he now has to present the offer to the owner who will beat up on him...

Some of you who have read my postings know that I tend to stick up for dealers and manufacturers... They have a tough road to travel... I have been in business most of my life and I know how hard it is to deal with the public and how hard it is to keep the ink black... But in this case, the dealer is wrong... A boat is only worth what someone will pay - and how much the seller has tied up in it is just not relevant... The boating industry, coming off decades of living off the fat of the land, is not seeing the new reality - though the makers and dealers going bankrupt are having their rose tinted glasses adjusted the hard way... 20% national unemployment is looming.. People do not feel flush and even if they have a stable job for now, they are very careful about taking on new debt...

I have been following one boat that I may make an offer on, a 2008 model just 10 months old with something like 30 hours on the engine... The owner has roughly 160K in it and needs to free up his cash... He started out at 155K and is now down to 125K... The boat is a bargain at the price and is a sharp boat that is economical to operate... It hasn't sold so far, so he has not found the true value in TODAY'S market or it would have sold... And that is the key, TODAY'S market... It does not matter what you have into it, or what it was sold for, or what it would cost to replace, it is only worth what the market will pay for it... As the economy continues to tighten up, and based on what I am seeing with the owner's attempt to get his money out of the boat, I expect the factory will find the buyers for brand new at list price, drying up rapidly...

denny-o

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he can't feed his family selling boats he needs to find another gig. The used boat market as well as the new boat market is soft :rolleyes: . Lower prices, and lower offers are the order of the day. If i was looking for a boat in this market i would lead with a low ball offer too. Tell me who wouldn't and i'll show you someone who is not being forthright. all that nonsence is...... "Salesman Speak" :504_shrugging:

it is tough in a lot of businesses right now. making something is better than nothing is not a great business model but in times like these you worry about paying your bills first. IF you do that you may be around when things get better to actually make some money

This guy sounds burnt out to me and/or does not have a minimum commission. My tip would be to either find a new career, take some time off and mentally regroup and learn how to make this market work for him not against him.

There is no doubt that times are tough but I am using this time to hone my skills and prepare for the upswing, not complain.

I agree that brokers should be thrilled to get offers to present to the seller, I know I am. The problem is that some sellers have unrealistic expectations or refuse to except that todays market is what it is. My job as a broker is to be brutely honest upfront... this often means I don't get the listing because they think their boat is the best in the world and I want them to give it away. It's a tricky business.

No one has ever come back to say "Boy, I sure am glad I didn't take that offer".