Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lake Erie Walleye pictures

David,

Not asking for any secrets or anything, but was is a typical day of walleye fishing like? You mentioned trolling cranks, is that crank baits? What does a walleye strike/fight like? They are relatively big fish in comparison to some of the striped bass we see, and I know what they are like.

Just curious. My parents have a place approx 1.5 hours from Erie in NW PA and never thought of dragging my boat up there. Just might have to think about it!

Bryan

Brian, I will be at Turtle Creek April 17-20 give me a shout on the radio I'm Iowa Dave. We will keep you posted on what is going on.

I'm sure the reef's will be hot as well as D can trolling the D can has been good lately.

Xracer, yep they are wonderful to eat. I can't think of a better fish to stink the grease :)

Bryan,

Send me a PM and I'll give you my Phone number so you can call and I will fill you in more. But for here yes Crank baits are hot mostly deep Rapala husky jerks as well as Reef Runners. Purple is always in fashion on Erie as well as chartruse, pink and yellow. Hot colors are fire tiger, purple prizm, barbie, just to name a few. Also can catch pigs on spoons, and crawler harnesses. The fishing on Erie is the best walleye fishing you will find anywhere IMO. Its easy to find the fish just head out of the harbor and look for boats. Also listen to the VHF and you will hear the numbers of where they are and on what and how far behind the boards they caught and the size of the fish.

Oh one more thing is speeds on the crank baits are .9- 1.2 and the spinners as well as the spoons are .05-1.0 maybe up to 1.5

If any of you have more questions just leave them here or send me a PM.

David

David,

Thanks for the info. I wont be back up that way for another month or so, but now I think I will definitely have to check it out.

I got your PM and will let you know when I'll be up that way.

Bryan

Sounds good Bryan. I go to Erie about every 4-6 weeks. If I'm not going to be there when you go I can still make some calls and put you right on the fish. :605_thumbs_up:

• 2 weeks later...