Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Marine Electrical

What kind of experience do you have? NMEA knowledge, color codes, etc. What kind of warranty? There are many different things that lead to how much you charge. I just had to refit an entire package that someone had put their electronics in and pumps. They used wire nuts and electrical tape. Total mess. You get what you pay for sometimes.

I'm an EE with an emphasis in automation and controls. I know many of the NEMA, ABYC, UL, and NEC codes and I also know how to make a proper connection without the use of wirenuts :). As far as expreience I have worked on many boats over the last 20 or so years and I consider myself a guru when it comes to troubleshooting, installation, and repair.

Mechdave - thanks for the kind words of wisdom!

Andy

"Word of mouth is going to be the most important advertising you can get. mechdave"

That was precisely what got me started when I opened my own electronics/security business back in the 80's. Also, those 40 hr weeks I was working went by the wayside. Lots of dealings with cpa's, local government agencies paperwork, vehicles....etc.

But I would never trade the experience for anything else. Very rewarding and profitable business.

Start slowly, don't get in over your head. Make sure you are a man of your word. Everyone promises things they can't deliver on. Not Good!

I have bought, rewired and sold four boats over the past two years as a hobby. Few people care to lower themselves down into the bilge and uder the console and tackle a nasty birdsnest... If you are good at it, there is no reason for you not to succeed. Good luck, Rick

... I know that I am limited in what I can do without an indoor shop but if the work comes my way I can always rent out space locally to do the work. ...

This may not be that great a handi-cap. Since the work will be on the boats it won't matter if you go to the job or the job goes to you. Except if it's at a marina that doesn't allow outside technicians.

• 10 months later...

There are many shops specializing in installing electronics and doing electrical work here in Florida. Most have a local shop. They aer licensed and many have manufacturers certification. One of my tech friends also does installation of home and commercial stand by generators, as well as electrical work on motor homes. He does on board work, but he has a shop where he does repairs. It's more comfortable to do repairs in an air conditioned room than it is in the field.

I say go for it as well. I have a boat mechanic and one of the reasons I stick with him is that he will come to the boat. Having to haul out and/or run it to a marina is a pain and expensive. Dockside service is great. Some marinas offer it but charge a premium. I had one marina quote me on a job and said they would not be able to haul it out because it was a cat but would give me a decent rate on a slip while they worked on it. Yeah right, pay for the job and their work space? no way. I knew they had slips already set aside for working on boats. They were just taking advantage and double dipping.

If you have low overhead, you can keep your rates civilized and still make some money.

Think about it, Joe Boater is having electrical issue. Chances are, he will not want to or maybe not be able to start and run the boat anywhere. That means a tow to the ramp, or marina for haul out. You coming to the boat just saved a couple hundred dollars right there.

Keep on mind that working out of a van means you have to have a lot of miscellanious stuff in stock so make sure you keep security in mind when setting up the truck.

It would be a good idea if you can add complete electronics installations and repairs. Matter of fact, if you are good at that, let me know. My transducer has been giving me issues and I am in Sea Isle so that should be local to you. B)

Edited by one4water