Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Marine Electrical

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about going into bus for myself and specializing in marine *electrical* only. No motors / mechanics, no fiberglass, but just electrical ranging from any and all wiring to install, repair, and troubleshoot electrical / electronic systems. At first I would just be doing the "mobile" thing and not working out of a shop / marina but eventually working towards having my own place.

What's your opinion and is there a market for this?

I am in southern Ocean County in NJ.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about going into bus for myself and specializing in marine *electrical* only. No motors / mechanics, no fiberglass, but just electrical ranging from any and all wiring to install, repair, and troubleshoot electrical / electronic systems. At first I would just be doing the "mobile" thing and not working out of a shop / marina but eventually working towards having my own place.

What's your opinion and is there a market for this?

I am in southern Ocean County in NJ.

Thanks in advance!

If you move to Florida, work out of your truck, do excellent work, you will succeed. By not having shop overhead, you will be able to save customer's hard earned cash. There's thousands of "spaghetti farms" of horrendous wiring out there.

Limbofish,

I realize that FL is probably a much better year round market for this but unfortunatly I am stuck in NJ. For now I am juat looking to get started and see where it leads me. I know that I am limited in what I can do without an indoor shop but if the work comes my way I can always rent out space locally to do the work. I am also thinking about doing other electrical work for the industrial controls and automation marketplace so renting out a shop may become mandatory shortly.

Mechdave,

Can I ask you what rated you charged to do a re-wire job? Was it by the job or was it T&E?

Andy

Limbofish,

I realize that FL is probably a much better year round market for this but unfortunatly I am stuck in NJ. For now I am juat looking to get started and see where it leads me. I know that I am limited in what I can do without an indoor shop but if the work comes my way I can always rent out space locally to do the work. I am also thinking about doing other electrical work for the industrial controls and automation marketplace so renting out a shop may become mandatory shortly.

Mechdave,

Can I ask you what rated you charged to do a re-wire job? Was it by the job or was it T&E?

Andy

What kind of experience do you have? NMEA knowledge, color codes, etc. What kind of warranty? There are many different things that lead to how much you charge. I just had to refit an entire package that someone had put their electronics in and pumps. They used wire nuts and electrical tape. Total mess. You get what you pay for sometimes.

I probably made about $25.00 an hour if you don't count ponder time. I work in an auto repair shop obviously. I could make more fixing cars on the side, but its not "fun" anymore. I just have to stay busy or I get crazy. Summer is great, diving and fishing and such. The winter sucks and I need something to do. Good luck with your endeavor, it will be hard to make it. Under promise and over deliver that is the key. If you hustle and give it your all you will succeed. Word of mouth is going to be the most important advertising you can get.