Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Best bang for the buck?

Looking to replace a tired radio on my boat. Old one won't read cd's etc. I am looking at the clarion M309. I want something that can charge an IPOD as well as control from the radio itself, will play cds with limited skip crossing wakes, would like weather band.

Current speakers are not blown but are 10yr old. Will a new deck bring new life to them or should they go in the can as well? Thanks in advance for any advice. Also I like to spend my cash local, but the local dealer quoted $289.00 for this unit while amazon and several ebay folks have it for less than $200.00. Should I give them a shot at coming close or do they just cater to people who dont research or care.

I would also look at the Kenwood KMR-330. It is a bit cheaper but I am not sure if it will charge the ipod.

Make sure that whatever you choose that is is the same size as the old one so it will fit into the same size cutout.

Also, if you replace the head unit with a similar model as your original (same manufacturer) you usually end up with an easier wiring job.

Replace the old speakers and go with a new deck too. Clarion makes a good stereo you shouldn't have any trouble with it skipping. I would try to haggle a bit with the local dealer but most won't match internet pricing. One thing to keep in mind is that some manufactures will not honor warranties if purchased through places like eBay or any other "unauthorized retailers"

I do like some of the Kenwood models. I am also looking at some of the JL speakers. Some of the other lines of speakers look like they are bells and whistles. Why would you make marine grade speakers with those open grill covers that are just an open invatation to get something to get impailed into them. Thanks for the feed back.

I do like some of the Kenwood models. I am also looking at some of the JL speakers. Some of the other lines of speakers look like they are bells and whistles. Why would you make marine grade speakers with those open grill covers that are just an open invatation to get something to get impailed into them. Thanks for the feed back.

lineside,

The open grills are for the sound to come out. The cones that the speakers are made from are some kind of material (not sure) that is waterproof and not made of a paper type material as a standard non-marine grade speaker.