Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Radar/GPS Opinions?

Looking to purchase my first Radar unit for my new to me boat. Any words of wisdom or advice on which unit is the best bang for the buck?? Considering new or used. Thanks!

Congratulations Tiara 3100 on your new to you boat! Got pics?

IMO, answering which unit is the best bang for the buck and whether new or used is impossible to answer. Do you plan on operating your boat in a lot of 'fog', at night? Too many variables. However, I suggest you look at Furuno NavNet 3D (New), CLICK on 'Recommended System' at the bottom of the page here: FURUNO NavNet 3D No association, usual disclaimers. Hope this helps.

Ask boat owners in your marina with 'Radar' their thoughts on their set up. Ask lots of questions.

Hope you will post your results, with photos and how you made your decision.

Good luck Tiara 3100, enjoy your very nice boat and have fun,

I have a Furuno system but not sure that any one brand is the answer.

My Friend just got a Garmin HD system which is very nice. I think that Garmin tends to cost less than the other brands.

My brother has Raython system with two full size screens which is great.

I think the biggest factor is screen size and the room you have on your boat.

My boat has one big screen and a secondary LCD display that shows numerical information like speed.

Once you know the screen size/screens size then you can start to compare costs.

Another thing to consider is the getting a Auto Pilot and making sure that the GPS and talk to the Auto Pilot and the VHF radio.

If I hit the distress button on my VHF it will provide location from the GPS radio.

NavNet 3D!!!

For your radar, it depends what uses you want out of it. If you want to look for birds, you'll need an open array radar - 4' antenna and 6-12 kw is enough.

If you're only interested in weather/other boats/navigational obstructions, a dome antenna will suit you fine and save you some money.

• 2 months later...