Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

minn kota and battery draw

i have a 24v minn kota hooked up to 2 odyssey pc1200 batteries. my minn kota seems to be drawing power when the motor is off. when i disconnect the negative lead from the motor it sparks a bit. why is that? i have had to replace the board in the motor a few times but was super careful to reconnect it properly.

After replacing boards a few times in my 24V Riptide ST trolling motor I was informed by the factory to isolate the motor via a baterry disconnect switch to protect the circuit board.

Trying to find the source of the current draw may be a bit tricky on your motor, but it is a non-issue with a battery disconnect switch.

i have a 24v minn kota hooked up to 2 odyssey pc1200 batteries. my minn kota seems to be drawing power when the motor is off. when i disconnect the negative lead from the motor it sparks a bit. why is that? i have had to replace the board in the motor a few times but was super careful to reconnect it properly.

Trolling motors should be installed w/a plug-in (or disconnect)...I've always used a SS 3-prong male/female plug

P9110076.jpg

Unplug while charging and leave unplugged except while in use...my batteries are on an onboard charger until time to use the boat...