Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ramp Follies

My version was last weekend in NC, at the Morehead public ramp.

We were just getting back in about 2 from playing on Shackleford. The ramp was busy, so I kicked my BIL off and told him to get the truck and back in the trailer.

:unsure:

At the same time, another Trophy, about 26', with one engine up, comes right into the middle ramp and ties off. They sit there the entire ten minutes it takes for my BIL's turn to back in (after being cut off by a minivan with a jetski). They get the other boat on the trailer, crooked, and I hear alot of yelling and this and that. First, they try to yank it out while its tied to the dock. Next, its cockeyed by maybe 20degrees on the trailer. Then, the 2wd Tundra they are driving can't get enough traction to make it up the ramp. I can see the smoke from the spinning tires. BIL gets backed in on his first try

:605_thumbs_up:

and I drive on. Two minutes later we're hooked up, engine's off and trimmed and we're pulling out. They are still spinning tires. As we pull past, my BIL says "Put some of those fat ****ers in the back of your truck for traction!"

:2261_high:

Meanwhile, the other boat was still listing to the starboard on the trailer by maybe 20*. Not sure what they did to get it out, we were gone within 5 minutes of pulling out.

I've seen plenty of relatively minor follies. At least relative to that poor guy's boo-boo. I usually help people when I can, but they have usually figured out they've make a mistake before I can help. I helped a guy trying to launch a jet ski with an S-10 at a very easy ramp. He had water in the bed of his truck by the time I got there and the ski was still attached to the trailer! I helped a couple pull a 22 footer with a minivan. They were the last car in the parking lot on a Sunday night!

I did not help the group of 4 adults trying to launch a brand new 20' Seado. They had many inches of the rear hatch of their SUV back tires were under water!) in the intracoastal and the boat in gear trying to back off the trailer before they decided to give up. Turned out they didn't undo the transom straps. It took them 20 min to launch on a single lane ramp and I was lucky enough to get behind them when I was trying to load up at the end of the day, as well. I did have to help that time because she almost hit my truck trying to back out of the parking spot like she didn't have a trailer.

I don't have a choice but to use the ramps if I want to take the boat out so I go at it with a since of humor and a good deal of patience. Then, once loaded and secured, I usually walk down to the courtesy docks and watch for a while. It is even better entertainment when your boat isn't in the water.

Used the ramp at the Ocean Isle, NC bridge several times over a couple of week period recently...was coming out on a busy day to find a non-towing Durango partially blocking my exit...as I got closer, he pulled forward a bit, which actually CLOSED UP my available opening, but I knew I still had room to make it, although CLOSE, so I proceeded ahead, which caused me to go straight at the Durango until the last moment, then cut and slip through...the driver was a little shocked and as I went by him realized he was a DNR Officer in an unmarked (blue lights on the dash and him in uniform)...he had been sitting there in that much traffic, adding to the congestion, chatting w/some guy walking past...he gave me a look and I gave him a look right back and said, "Have a nice day" as I went by...seems those guys should be the LAST ones to add to the confusion at a busy ramp...