Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Truck Explodes On Ocracoke Island: One Dead, At least Four Injured

WITN asked for a statement from Melrose South Pyrotechnics,Inc and they responded quickly saying, "A company representative is in route to the site, to work with local authorities in their investigation. We do not have any further information at this time. We will report any details as we receive them."

WITN will continue following this story and bring you all the latest developments as soon as we get them. Below is the previous report:

Ocracoke, NC -- WITN News has confirmed with sheriff's officials there has been an explosion on Ocracoke Island in Hyde County.

An 18-wheeler loaded with fireworks exploded near the ferry docks.

Sheriff's officials say at least one person has died, and four people are critically injured.

Officials say they are all from Melrose Pyrotechnics in South Carolina, and they were setting up the Island's fireworks tonight when the explosion happened about 9:15 a.m.

Jane Hodges, Hyde County interim Emergency Manager, released an update shortly after noon:

It reports:

"There was an immediate response from Hyde County Sheriff’s Department, the National Park Service, NC DOT Ferry Division, Marine Fisheries, and volunteers to handle the crowds and assess the situation. Fortunately, there were three doctors including a medical examiner and volunteer nurses who responded immediately along with the staff of the Ocracoke Health Center and Hyde County EMS.

Representatives from Dare, Pender, and Carteret counties were on the scene as well.

Two helicopters with East Care, from Pitt Memorial Hospital in Greenville, NC, and one from Dare Medflight, responded to transfer the critically injured for further care.

Two volunteer firemen were transported by Dare Co. EMS to be treated for inhalation and exhaustion.

The Hatteras Island ferry was temporarily suspended but is now open and Highway 12 is clear. The south dock on Ocracoke island for the Swan Quarter and Cedar Island ferries remains shut down until the scene is cleared to ensure safety.

Representatives from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) Company will be on site this afternoon to evaluate the scene.

There will be another release when more information is available."

Gwen Myers of Washington, who used to work at WITN, is at Ocracoke this holiday weekend.

"The explosion happened near the ferry docks," Myers said. "It was unreal. There was a huge boom. The explosion peeled the top off the 18-wheeler truck."

Myers said even hours after the explosion you can still smell fireworks in the air. She said it’s believed all those hurt are exployees of the company putting on the fireworks.

Click here for Carolina Camera to submit or look at Ocracoke explosion photos.

Ocracoke's fireworks display was scheduled for 9 p.m. tonight.

The more recent census numbers show Ocracoke Island with a population of less than 800. In the summer months, thousands of people travel to the Hyde County Island by ferry to visit.

567257E.jpg

I was about 250 yards away from where it occurred and saw it. The first explosion sounded like a cannon going off, followed by several seconds of rapid, massive explosions. To picture the scene, imagine the entire 30 minute fireworks show in five seconds and occurring entirely at ground level.

Thoughts and prayers to the family of the individual who died, and to the pyro workers and firefighters who were injured.

Update at midnight: Two other members of the pyro crew did not survive (3 fatalities total). Thoughts and prayers to their families as well. Definitely a somber mood on Ocracoke today/tonight.

I had just set my trolling spread this morning, and I was looking back at it and saw the mushroom cloud. I was wondering what it was, and a minute later I heard one of the ferry captains discussing it w/ the Coast Guard asking if the harbor was quarantined. We could see the truck next to the harbor entrance as we were coming in. Nothing left but a charred frame. They were still working on the scene early this evening- Overcurrent and I saw one of the fire trucks leaving about an hour ago as we were talking on the dock.

It's a sad 4th....one man was killed, 2 more aren't expected to live, and I believe there are an additional 2 in serious condition.