Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Airmar TM260 Transducer NEW

<!--quoteo(post=18307:date=Jul 2 2009, 09:59 PM:name=Limbofish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Limbofish @ Jul 2 2009, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=18307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just hit the market last week. For boats 25' up. High speed a reality. Dual beams. Should be a hot item. Anybody installed one yet. Reviews? This will eliminate putting a hole in your keel for a thru hull. Airmar finally gets it. MSRP $793.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm purchasing one this weekend from BOE. I'll let you know how it goes. My boat doesn't have a good place to mount a thru hull and I'm on a trailer. I'm a career sonarman and the specs on this transducer look good on paper, especially the sensitivity (just as important as the transmit power). I'll let you know how it works after my first trip to the canyon edge. I'm attaching this to a Raymarine system.

It does look big!

Any update on the TM260. How is its performance compared to other transducers? Did you have to thru-bolt it or lag it to your transom? I'm thinking about getting one for my trailer boat.

Thanks,

HH

<!--quoteo(post=21969:date=Aug 22 2009, 08:21 AM:name=honu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (honu @ Aug 22 2009, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=21969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm purchasing one this weekend from BOE. I'll let you know how it goes. My boat doesn't have a good place to mount a thru hull and I'm on a trailer. I'm a career sonarman and the specs on this transducer look good on paper, especially the sensitivity (just as important as the transmit power). I'll let you know how it works after my first trip to the canyon edge. I'm attaching this to a Raymarine system.

It does look big!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still waiting to mount mine on my transom. You only get 1 shot lining it up and drilling holes for the lag bolts that are long. Any suggestions how to properly line this beast up? I found a spot midway up the transom from the keel. I put a flat board under the boat extending beyond the end, put the 'ducer flush with the board pointing straight down. I think when I'm at plane, the 'ducer will not cause any wash/spray in this position. I'd appreciate any thoughts before I drill and plug with 5200.

UPDATE:

After doing proper research, I sent the unit back and went with a new thru hull. Installed, glassed in, re-painted. Looks factory. Got too many reasons why NOT to have this external unit. Works like a champ.

post-2459-126139951465_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After doing proper research, I sent the unit back and went with a new thru hull. Installed, glassed in, re-painted. Looks factory. Got too many reasons why NOT to have this external unit. Works like a champ.

What ducer is that? It looks like a B17 housing, but what are the internals? Just curious.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey honu and kilowatt,

Did you guys ever get your TM260 xducers installed? Was installation straightforward? How do they work? Can you see deep bottom and fish at speed? Any screen shots would be appreciated. Thanks!

I actually ended up installing one in my dad's boat. The install was like any other transom mount transducer just much bigger. His boat isn't speed demon but it reads clear at up to 40 mph which his top speed. We haven't used it in water much deeper then 120 feet, but the detail is noticeably better then the 600w transducer it replaced.

• 14 years later...

Though not so new any more :) 

Airmar has a solid reputation for quality marine electronics, and it's exciting when they introduce innovative products like this.

The TM260's features, especially the high-speed capability and dual beams, sound promising for boats 25' and up. The elimination of the need for a thru-hull installation can be a game-changer for many boat owners who prefer to avoid putting holes in their keels.

If you decide to go for it and install the TM260 on your boat, consider sharing your experience online to contribute to the community's knowledge base. Reviews from real users can be incredibly helpful for others who are researching new marine electronics.