Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

6 gallon portable gas tank

Are 6 gallon metal portable tanks suppose to vent? After mine sit in the heat for a while the gas expands and spills/vents out the fill neck. The fill caps on mine seal tightly and if I open the caps slowly alot of air is expelled but I still get a spill. Am I suppose to leave the caps on loosely? Do the tanks need rebuilding and where do you buy a rebuild kit?

Very old ones were pressurized, and did not vent. The line to the motor was a pair, with one side returning pressure to the tank. No one has made one like that in many years, though. All modern outboards (as far as I know) use a non-pressurized tank, which will have a vent screw in the cap. The hose shouldn't drip if the vent is left open.

If your tank does not have a vent screw in the cap it may be a pressurized type. The giveaway is the hose -- double hose = pressurized. With that kind of tank, it was sometimes necessary to leave the cap loose to avoid leakage.

Well, wait, now I think of it, at my East Coast place I do have a 1970's vintage outboard with a no old non-pressurized metal tank that has no vent screw. I don't use that motor much. The cap vents poorly if left on tight, and on very hot days I leave it loose to avoid the hose dripping. Maybe similar to what you have.

I doubt there is a rebuild kit for it, but a new plastic tank should work as a direct replacement no problem.

If they are Mercury or Yamaha brand tanks you might be able to get replacement lids. They were about $15 when I bought a couple several years back. I think I got the last two in New Hampshire because I went to 3 or 4 local places before I found them.

Good luck!