Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

intrepids

Spoke to my friend with the 98-356 today, he says he gets 1.1 mpg at around 35-37 mph not sure on the RPM he has my same engines. He says it tops out at close to 50 mph, my 32 does a consistant 54-55mph (3 guys, 100 gallons and fishing gear).

I boarded the boat, hands down it's a much bigger boat and the cabin is a real cabin w/ ac, full bath, on board generator. Much more acomodating. If I were to do it all over I would probably get the 356 or the 366.

Intrepid has a 2000 366 that looks brand new with twin 350 yamahas, apparently redone at intrepid, high priced but fun to look at.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, you have the boat I am considering getting sometime early next year. You say the head is under one of the V berth seats? Do you know what year they started putting in the rotating head under the step in the cabin? I really like the feature.

Also...you say you use a Honda gen to power the AC. Is there room under the deck anywhere for a built in gen?

Me and Emud are on the same page. LOL

I have looked at both the Jupiter & Intrepid cuddies and 31' WA Intrepid and found the 32 Whaler cuddy to be better laid out boith from a cruising & fishing perspective.

• 1 month later...

I have loved Intrepids for years but when we started searching for "our" needs the layout was never quite right and we could not afford to have them build one new, so we choose a used Jupiter 31 FS and have been very happy.

I "heard it on the docks" recently and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned on Reel Boating anywhere, John Michel has left Intrepid. I searched the web and this is the only article I could find, although there are many posts, they all say the same thing.

Intrepid Power Boats Founder John Michel Plots New Course

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:27pm EDT

TAMPA, Fla.--(Business Wire)--

For more than 26 years Intrepid`s founder and president, John Michel, has

fostered his one-of-a-kind, one-at-a-time approach to semi-custom boat building

and customer support, building the Intrepid brand into one of the most revered

in the industry. Even in challenging economic times, Largo, Fla.-based Intrepid

Power Boats continues to employ 250 workers and has a 24-month waiting list.

"Michel did everything `wrong` from what many textbooks would call `good

business`," said Boating Magazine`s senior technical editor Kevin Falvey, "But

he remains a winner even in these disastrous times. The MBA`s would have had him

expand and homogenize, the marketing gurus would have suggested that pleasure

boaters wouldn`t buy outboards or stepped hulls, the consultants would have said

he needed a dealer network, but to all of them, John Michel`s message is this:

Building boats to a standard of excellence, rather than to a price point or

formula, is a recipe for success even in the worst of times."

Michel sold a majority stake in the company two and a half years ago to a New

England-based private equity firm. Recent discussions revealed significant

philosophical differences in the direction that the company needs to take.

Therefore Intrepid`s founder and president has decided to chart new waters.

Edited by Jup31 Go Fish

Spoke to my friend with the 98-356 today, he says he gets 1.1 mpg at around 35-37 mph not sure on the RPM he has my same engines. He says it tops out at close to 50 mph, my 32 does a consistant 54-55mph (3 guys, 100 gallons and fishing gear).

I boarded the boat, hands down it's a much bigger boat and the cabin is a real cabin w/ ac, full bath, on board generator. Much more acomodating. If I were to do it all over I would probably get the 356 or the 366.

Intrepid has a 2000 366 that looks brand new with twin 350 yamahas, apparently redone at intrepid, high priced but fun to look at.

I have 35 WA with 300 Suzukis and with full fuel ready to fish, I never have seen 1.5. Typically I run 4k at 32 mph at 1.45mpg. At 4400 I am at 1.33 and crusing at 36. Half load suprisingly at 4000 I am the same but at 4400 I am at 1.45 at 37. Spent a load of time tweaking the throtles on wat to Abaco this summer and sweet spot is somewhere within. I top out at 54.

The 356 is a larger animal, higher freeboard, much larger than mine. A dear friend has one with 300 V's just repowered, hes a "bit" less efficent than I am.

Love my boat: Cabin is too small to be comfy other than a true overnight, v berth needs the filler, and that hinders floor space. i have done it, on hook and ashore, overall, there are larger better laid out 35's for cabin space. Now with that said, I fly by and burn substantially less fuel with less motor than those larger cabin battle wagons. I dive and fish, recently mostly cruise to doing so, I dont truly need the "hole", have it, like it, but was not a deciding factor for me.

Chris, you know where I'm at swing by i'll show you real #'s and feel anytime.

The best paet of Intrepid, is customer service. ANY PART breaks, ANY REASON, they hand over a new one no questions asked!

Love the 31 Jupiter FS, neighbor has one, my favorite CC. Hate that the deck drains to the bilge, very wet, I had that with my Whitewater. Ride is amazing. I need seating and shade. My days of fishing 8 rods are long behind me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CBP has the 39' midnights for now. Within 18 months you should start to see these boats going up for auction. These would make excellent island cruisers and will be economical(1.3 mpg) at 30 knots even with quads...only thing is: no head in console....and yes John Michel is gone from Intrepid, sold it in 2008.

Edited by boat22