Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

intrepids

Most things being equal (electronics, engines, etc..)....

Is there any major difference in ride or hull characteristics between a 1995-6 Intrepid 356 Cuddy Cabin and a 2001 Intrepid 32 cuddy cabin??

I mean, is there any major improvement or change in construction, layout or materials between 95-96 and 2001???

are these hulls still made with Kevlar???

I would appreciate any other info

Thanks..

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 02 322 cuddy it's a great boat, fast and has a soft ride, I have a buddy with the 356 cuddy, I have never been on it while moving but I can tell you it's wider by about a foot(my 32 is 9'6"), which makes it feel huge also the cabin is also much bigger it has a small galley, a bathroom, and a generator for the a/c. It's much better equipted for overnight stays.

My 32 has an a/c which I power with a honda generator, the porta potti is under one of the seats and the cabin is much smaller probably similar to the one on the scarab.

However the 32 is easier to trailer, uses less gas, no generator to maintain,& less of a cabin to fuss with.

I love my boat and I 've had it for almost 4 yrs & I don't plan on changing it but I sometimes wonder about the 356. The only boat that temps me a bit.

thanks for the reply... I was going to bring it BTT...

If everything goes ok, I will be able to reduce my trailering A LOT, except for the ocasional trip to the keys twice or 3 time a year or less, but still it's going to be a factor to concider.... do you have any idea whats the weigth on the trailer of your 32??? what about your friends 356??

I thougth that the kevlar hull was standard at a time, but I may be wrong.

I understand that this are ver sturdy and well constructed hulls, can anybody comment on this??

Is there any wood on these boats???

It seems that the final decision will be between bigger/older or smaller/newer

I have an 02 322 cuddy it's a great boat, fast and has a soft ride, I have a buddy with the 356 cuddy, I have never been on it while moving but I can tell you it's wider by about a foot(my 32 is 9'6"), which makes it feel huge also the cabin is also much bigger it has a small galley, a bathroom, and a generator for the a/c. It's much better equipted for overnight stays.

My 32 has an a/c which I power with a honda generator, the porta potti is under one of the seats and the cabin is much smaller probably similar to the one on the scarab.

However the 32 is easier to trailer, uses less gas, no generator to maintain,& less of a cabin to fuss with.

I love my boat and I 've had it for almost 4 yrs & I don't plan on changing it but I sometimes wonder about the 356. The only boat that temps me a bit.

Thanks for the info, you have the boat I am considering getting sometime early next year. You say the head is under one of the V berth seats? Do you know what year they started putting in the rotating head under the step in the cabin? I really like the feature.

Also...you say you use a Honda gen to power the AC. Is there room under the deck anywhere for a built in gen?

Me and Emud are on the same page. LOL

I think it was 04 or 05 when they started the rotating head, it's a nice feature. They also changed the access under/into the L seating so that it opens up more for storage around the same time.

There is a fish box/ optional livewell behind the helmseat that might accomodate a small generator, I've thought about it, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I looked at a 323 and a 356 today. I shouldn't had!!!!I looked at the 35 first and then I went to see the 32 and it looked tiny.. when in reallity it is not!!!!

Mandy: thanks a lot for all your input... I'm thinking really hard about the 356. I can't take it out of my mind now.

Let me ask you something, is your fresh water intake under an inspection cap under the helm seat??? it looked like a very odd and uncomfortable place to put the fresh water fill..

Could you ask your friend about what fuel economy # he is gettin??? with what engines???

Could you post your # too???

Thanks!!!

Also talked to Joe Brennar at Intrepid... What a COOL guy, he spent considerable time with me talking about the intrepids and a particular hull (a 323 2001) I was looking at. Not only that, he also sent me pictures of the boat from when it left the factory and also sent me the original sea trial!!!!

I have heard nothing but good things about Intrepid customer service.

Buddy......so you are thnking about walking away from that sweet 32? Please dont or I will be forced to look at it, and that would probably mean a new boat for me. LOL The problem is that I'm not quite ready for one yet, I want to wait until after the baby comes among a few other things.

Guys, I have to take the other side on this one. I am very impressed with how Intrepid builds their boats. They are on the forefront of both engineering and materials. However (and it is a big "however") a lot of their design work is not my favorite. Many of the models have small swmsteps that appear to be added onto the transom and are only accssable through a rather small door. Yeah, some boats have the dive door, but as a diver, I am really not impressed by a door that relies on nylon line to keep it in place while 300 pounds of diver and gear perches on it in a pitching sea. The deck is a mass of hatches and drain channels, which I might forgive because it offers good drainage, but drop anything and it disappears into a groove. The thing that bothers me the most is the wiring. It is very well done from the factory, but once the boat is assembled, there is almost no access to the wiring in the console area. If you want to chage electronics or find a short, you better have long arms and tough fingers. Just for the heck of it, look at what it would take to replace a steering hose.

They still have a waiting list, but I feel the boats are sold more on their surprise and delight features like electric sliding doors and rotating heads than real boating function. The anchor lockers are too small for real ground tackle, but you'll find more 30 footers with bow thrusters than you will with a windlass. They are a boat that impresses everyone, no matter where you go. But my personal feeling is that they are more suited to a cocktail cruise than cleaning up the blood from a bleeding tuna. There are so many nooks and crannies on the boats that cleaning one properly could be a tough task.

I still like the boats and came very close to buying one myself. But the plushness lost out to open decks, less upholstery and better wiring access. It is all a matter of personal preference.