Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ocracoke, 4th of July weekend

Rich, I don't think you're going to have a fireworks show tonight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090704/ap_on_...rks_explosion_1

Nope- The fireworks show is definitely cancelled- I just saw the last fire truck leaving the scene a few minutes ago. The only show I got was a mushroom cloud from about 8 miles offshore......I had just set my trolling spread, and I was looking back at it and saw the cloud. I was wondering what it was, and a minute later I heard one of the ferry captains discussing it w/ the Coast Guard asking if the harbor was quarantined.

It's a sad 4th....one man was killed, 2 more aren't expected to live, and I believe there are an additional 2 in serious condition.

Well, our 4th of July trip was a good one (aside from the sad occurrence w/ the fireworks truck) I met Overcurrent (Brian) and we had some nice chats while I was there....nice guy.

Also had some great fishing. Friday morning was a little bumpy (3-4's), but it calmed down to 2's later in the day and Saturday was just plain beautiful! flat, calm water, cooler temps, and the fish were cooperating both days. I got a good chance to test out Tim W's flying fish lures, too. I was running my spread with 3 islanders (blue/white) and two flying fish lures (blue/white and pink/white). The hookups were pretty evenly distributed across the spread. (9 Dolphin on Islanders and 6 on flying fish lures) and I DON'T have to rig Ballyhoo on the flying fish! YEAH!

A few pics:

post-1722-1246989427_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1246989441_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1246989468_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1246989482_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1246989495_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1246989515_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1247000122_thumb.jpg

post-1722-1247000450_thumb.jpg

Great catch! Is that a cobia in the spread? And you're right, the crew on the O2 are good people!

Naw-it's an AJ.....they're good eating in the gulf (Texas) so I kept him to see for myself if they have as many parasites as people say in the Atlantic.....they do. The Pelicans ate good on Friday!

Bloody decks with the flying fish............Way cool .

Did the AJ hit a Flying Fish ?

No- the AJ hit an Ilander w/ Ballyhoo. That was a first for me-never had an AJ hit a trolled bait of any kind before. The bloody decks was from the false albacore....wow those things bleed!