Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

fixed a Seastar helm issue today

my 3 yo Parker came standard with a SeaStar hh5271 (2006). worked as good as expected for the first two years. then the check valves started sticking. cleaned them periodically. then more and more frequently. the hydrauic fluid was beginning to add up. also the engine would fall over to one side while trailering.....no biggy but a PIA to get in the boat and straighten prior to launch.

finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy a brand new helm. best price was at Gotomarine.......very nice to deal with and quick delivery.

based on my research over the last year on SeaStar issues, it appeared that for good while there, they were having some quality issues, whereas prior to those issues, they had a pretty solid reputation. it seems that while my new helm pump still shares the same designation (HH 5271) it appears outwardly, and inwardly to be a better design (i hope) from the previous one.

installed it tonight, feels much smoother, even more so when the old one was new. time will tell (fingers crossed). point of interest if you get a new helm, save the old 90 degree fittings and use them, because the new ones that come in the box have too much plating on them and cannot be tightened as specified.

oh, and BTW the engine stays where i put it now.........the new helm has solved all the issues i had.

Very interesting. I also have SeaStar on my '07 CC with an F250. The motor was built in September of '06. I have no steering problems at all but occasionally my motor will just lay all the way over to port all by itself. Never to starboard. It's not bouncing around on a trailer either. I wet slip all season. It only does it once in while and has been doing this since day one. My only thought is that there may be air somewhere in the system and that bleeding may correct it. I hope that's all it is.

my 3 yo Parker came standard with a SeaStar hh5271 (2006). worked as good as expected for the first two years. then the check valves started sticking. cleaned them periodically. then more and more frequently. the hydrauic fluid was beginning to add up. also the engine would fall over to one side while trailering.....no biggy but a PIA to get in the boat and straighten prior to launch.

finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy a brand new helm. best price was at Gotomarine.......very nice to deal with and quick delivery.

based on my research over the last year on SeaStar issues, it appeared that for good while there, they were having some quality issues, whereas prior to those issues, they had a pretty solid reputation. it seems that while my new helm pump still shares the same designation (HH 5271) it appears outwardly, and inwardly to be a better design (i hope) from the previous one.

installed it tonight, feels much smoother, even more so when the old one was new. time will tell (fingers crossed). point of interest if you get a new helm, save the old 90 degree fittings and use them, because the new ones that come in the box have too much plating on them and cannot be tightened as specified.

oh, and BTW the engine stays where i put it now.........the new helm has solved all the issues i had.

I have the same problem with my twin Yam F115 If I don't get them perfectly straight when I tilt them up they sag over to one side in a few hours. Also, the steering feels a little jerky when the motors are up. I bet I need a helm also. Thanks,

I emailed SeaStar CS from their website about my motor laying over to port and got the following response within an hour.

Jack:

A few things here...

If it takes longer than a few hours to fall over (overnight for example), this is a normal occurrence. The reason for this is that built into the system there is a little bypass, this bypass, over an extended period of time, will allow the engine to fall over.

If it falls faster than the above, then there may be an issue with the valving in the helm pump. In this case the engines will fall over very fast (tilt, and it falls within minutes)

It could also be something as simple as air in the system...

Can you let me know about how long it takes to fall over? Also, when running, does the boat track straight when you let go of the steering wheel?

thanks and please advise

marc

I have the same problem with mine right now.

Was it hard to bleed the system after you did it? I asked Seastar if they improved it,basicly I dont think they did.

Thanks for your post I guess I will be ordering one soon

not hard to bleed the system, just takes two people to do it. the instructions are clear and easy to follow. i recommend taking out anything near the helm that can get soiled by hydraulic fluid. it is kind of like working with 5200.......nearly impossible to do without getting some on you or where it is not supposed to be.

my engine would fall completely over between my house and the ramp (20 min ride). i did not have any leaks prior to the helm change and was fairly certain all the air had been bled as i had bled the system multiple times after cleaning the check valves.

took the boat out twice since the change out.........very smooth and responsive.......better than when the boat was new. (fingers still crossed).

While we are on the sea star subject...................I replaced mine a while back and have bled it several times and my boat still drives like crap when I'm in the idle zones. I'm cranking the wheel back and fourth so much that it wears me out. My friends boats drive 1000 times better. When I'm not running and tilted up my engine stays put so I don't think I have a bypass problem. Going fast it drives great.

Any ideas?

I had major problems with my SeaStar helm after only a year. Teleflex was no help at all so I cut my losses and got a U-Flex helm.

While we are on the sea star subject...................I replaced mine a while back and have bled it several times and my boat still drives like crap when I'm in the idle zones. I'm cranking the wheel back and fourth so much that it wears me out. My friends boats drive 1000 times better. When I'm not running and tilted up my engine stays put so I don't think I have a bypass problem. Going fast it drives great.

Any ideas?

if the seals are good, fluid level OK, and the helm is pushing fluid, then air is the likely culprit. i would have a local shop power bleed it.

FWIW i have not had any bad CS experiences with SeaStar. but i do think my original helm was lemon that barely made two years with acceptable performance. if this new one starts to act up, i will not hesitate to switch to another brand.