Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

GI Bill

In this bad economy there may be individuals who could go back to school. Here is the latest on the new GI Bill benefits, post 9-11.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. This program will pay eligible individuals:

tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition & fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning. see chart listing 2008 - 2009 maximum rates

a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. To determine the BAH for your school's ZIP code click here (link goes to a non-VA website)

an annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment

a one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals see comparison chart for more information.

This benefit is payable only for training at an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) (See comparison chart for more information). If you are enrolled exclusively in online training you will not receive the housing allowance. If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

Thanks for posting that, Stephen. I know that GI Bill money came in very handy for me back in the 70's. It allowed my wife to quit work and go to nursing school as I attended school at night. That $350 a month back then was good money!

If you have served, you have earned it....Use it!! :605_thumbs_up:

When I got out in the mid 80's, the program was called VEAP and it was a 2 for 1 dollar matching program. If you contributed $100 a month (100 was the max per month) for so many months (I forget what the total max contribution was capped at) you would get a check for $300 each month while a full time student after separation. It was better than nothing for sure, but no where near as good as the programs that followed.

i. Graduate School

Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill), including the Yellow Ribbon Program, can be used for graduate school.

Chapter 33

http://www.gibill2008.org/faq.html#gradschool

That is a needed change. I decided to join prior to 9/11 and had paid my way through without any debt but they said no to grad school but would pay off my loans. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

I prefer the "older" GI Bill....paid my college in NYC (tuition was $60.00 per semester for NYC residents) and paid for my apartment right next to the campus....$400 or so per month was decnt change just for going to school full time; also had a nice pilot training provision...my cousin, who flies for the airlines still, simply had to pay for his private pilot's license, and the rest was picked up by the VA to the tune of 90%, I believe....you had 72 months to use it, and many a Vietnam era vet utilized the bill.