Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Some info about Hondas and E-tecs

Kerno,

Mind if I cut and copy your post to my friend Dennis Avery, Honda's SE field engineer? That would be an interesting read for him, especially the pics of the 225 boneyard.

Typically, US builders put around 1500 hours on finalized testing (all components assembled and acting as a whole), then ship the product. Hence the plethora of technical bulletins that follow a release. The Japanese are much more thorough, so this kind of surprises me. If anyone remembers the debut of the Suzuki 300, you'll remember that it was delayed for many months (hell, we had a bunch of boats built and rigged sitting out back waiting for motors), and no one knew why. Turned out a shift actuator failed at 3750 hours, and Suzuki wasn't going to release any motors until the failure mode was determined and the proper fix was in place. That was on a test schedule of 4000 HOURS! When the motors were finally released, the engineers were sent out to all the builders to replace the actuators on the units at the plant.

It is a shame that Suzuki does not really have a presence on the Islands. As much as I am an American, I think Suzuki is the best motor out there right now. Look under the cowling of an Opti, a Verado, or an Etec. Look at the little P/N tags on the various componentry. A lot of them read "Made in China". So are all the motors really that different, country of origin wise?

And we've been bugging Honda for years to give us a 250-300HP model...don't know about that... :unsure:

P.S. I'm sure I'll hear from Glen E on this one...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a fuel or maintenance issue .

To many motors in the rest of the world [ 2 and 4 stroke ] have way more hours in the rest of the world .

I know the Honda is built to run on really cheap fuel [ 85 octaine ] That guy should take better care of his junk yard as the cowling's are worth about $1200.00 new , you might tell him he is sitting on some coin .

Bet Honda might want them back to check them out.

Bob: You are more than welcome to copy anyone with the info. I can also send you a valve head or two.

As far as the parts and cowl are concerned, They would be worth something if they were 2500 miles east of their location. I have given serious consideration to loading the whole pile into a container and shipping it back this way. But the stuff has to be on skids and a shipping a 20 foot container from Maui to Long Beach is about $3600.

There are only 90,000 residents on Maui. Here's the strange one: Hawaii has both the fewest boats of any state as well as the fewest boats per capita of any state. That does not mean a good mechanic could not do well here. You have to be creative but if you did both cars and boats, you'd stay very busy. You could also sell Yamahas. We had the Superferry that ran between Maui and Oahu, so you could take your boat to Oahu for service or go to a real car dealership for purchases or repairs, but the State Supreme Court shut it down Thursday because of an improper Environmental Impact report. 260 people laid off and now everything has to ship back and forth by barge again. Gasoline is $2.71 but diesel is now $4.35! We are being ripped off big time.

It's a fuel or maintenance issue .

To many motors in the rest of the world [ 2 and 4 stroke ] have way more hours in the rest of the world .

I know the Honda is built to run on really cheap fuel [ 85 octaine ] That guy should take better care of his junk yard as the cowling's are worth about $1200.00 new , you might tell him he is sitting on some coin .

Bet Honda might want them back to check them out.

Welder makes a good point and I think he might be on to something in an earlier comment about carbon. Carbon is the enemy for any engine. 2 and 4 strokes, especially direct injection. Many people don't relize any harm is being done until it is too late.

I put mega hours on all the outboards that I own. Due to the products that I use to control carbon deposits. Their are several ways and products to use to keep your rings, combustion chamber, and valves(if you have them)clean as a whistle.

I know that carbon deposits can increase to compression ration by reducing the effective chamber volume at TDC and had I seen extensive carbon in the chambers, I might consider it a factor. But the chambers were not carboned up - especially on the engines run at high speed.

Do you know of a specific way carbon deposits can cause failure?