Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

6-Year-Old Girl Hooks Giant Halibut

I hate to wade into this but.....

I THINK that in Alaska the person who hooks the fish is technically credited with the catch. I'm searching the regs (and I'll talk to a few LE buddies) to make sure but if my feable mind remembers correctly there was a case a few years ago where a charter captain or deckhand got busted for taking more than his limit. He was hooking the fish and handing the pole to his clients.

Personally, good for her.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guides are not allowed to fish while guiding clients, unless helping a client with a disability per the ADA, page 7 of the 2009 ADF&G regs. In addition to the sport fishing rules, there are the rules under the state for guides, and Coast Guard requirements. So it's tough to find the answer in a single publication. I haven't found anything that specifically says a guide or deckhand cannot assist in getting a fish on a boat.

Halibut fall under federal regulations, so there are some additional requirements.

I'm not really looking for tecnicalities...I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I'm just saying she didn't really catch it all by herself and, therefore, can not say she caught that fish.

It isn't a big deal....I could really care less, I just don't think that is honest....no matter what "rules" say.

Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not really looking for tecnicalities...I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I'm just saying she didn't really catch it all by herself and, therefore, can not say she caught that fish.

It isn't a big deal....I could really care less, I just don't think that is honest....no matter what "rules" say.

Just my opinion.

I have read the thread and all opinions....you know what they say about what opinions.

One day she will google this item and will think that there are some mean people in this world.

Mine is that the kid had a great time with her dad and she will indeed remember that day for the rest of her life and congratulations to her!

Way to go honey :605_thumbs_up:

• 1 month later...

It just said she Hooked it. That's the truth and she should get credit for it.

I've hooked them too. But I am not strong enough to bring a 40#r up. I hand the rod off to someone and let them bring it up.

One time I had four people out with me. I hooked four fish, one at a time, handed the rods off, took an empty rod and hooked another......etc.

Finally I had to wait till somebody brought one to the boat before I could hook another. Its a knack and that little girl seemed to have it.

When I had a Commercial Halibut permit, I had an electric windlass on a davit.

My 29' Boat heeled over and the windlass groaned down to to nearly blowing a breaker when we were bringing in a set and a 205# Halibut began to resist.

It was spooky.

I don't know how any one person would have the strength and durability to haul a fish that large in by himself.

So that little girl needed help. Anybody would.

She got credit for hooking it. Thats good enough.

• 3 months later...

Well that is an awsome fish & she should be proud forever. I read the article & had the same thought how is she intering it in a derby tournament or any other sanctioned sportsman event. I dont belive there is a debate here she did not catch the fish on her own it may or may not fit into the rules of the derby. Thats for the officals to determine & the parents should have read the rules & made there own determination that the fish was legal to enter. If they made the wrong choice then the officials have a responisibility to enforce the rules. We all know snagging fish is wrong as is poching but people do it I chose not to as I am a sportsman. I thank the lord everyday I dont have to enforce the rules. I just make sure I can sleep at night so I follow the rules & teach my children to folow the rules since right & wrong starts at home.