Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

XM Weather - Do you like it?

Was going to make a post and ask pretty much ask the same thing.

I do not have XM Weather but flipping thru the Cabelas catalog, I was looking at the new Hummingbird Side Imaging units. One of the models says it can be used with the XM Weather (satellite) but cannot be used in in Saltwater. That thru me for a loop.

Can somebody explain that or maybe it was typed up wrong????

I was thinking of upgrading later this year.

I installed the GDL 30A in my Dad's last two boats. He has been very happy with it. He has the Fisherman package it displays offshore weather buoy info, pressure, sea surface temperature, NOAA forecasts, nexrad radar and a lot more info. It has allowed us to better plan our day offshore to avoid rain. If you spend a lot of time offshore it is worth the investment.

Go with the fisherman package unless you really need, wind, wave. lighting and storm cell path. I had the master mariner(?) for about three years then switched to the fisherman. Easy enough to watch the time delay to predict the storm path, lighting is quite easy to spot without a computer screen telling you there is lighting nearby, the wind and wave prediction is not really accurate enough and clutters the screen if you have all that displayed at once with all the other data. I love the nexrad data, come back into the ramp after waiting it out a few miles offshore to see all the folks soaking wet and talking about the violent storm they just went through. You'll see it over your destination/path and wait it out or change course to avoid the big stuff. I have also used it on numerous occasions to change my fishing destinations due to a huge storm cell over my spot....30+ miles away.

Fisherman package.

If the funds are there it is a trip saver and EXTREMELY accurate. As a guide I use mine all the time in the straights and gulf to dodge and weave summertime squalls. I use the captains package.. I have no idea the cost.. I can say in two years it has yet to let me down..