Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Capsized boat Beaufort Inlet 6/13

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially given his idiotic insistence of not boarding the first boat on scene. That's the most perplexing part of the whole thing.

I agree that it was a foolish thing to do.....granted, he was only 100 yards from the shore, but we all know that all it takes is a little slip and the situation could change from losing a boat to losing a life in a heartbeat.

I agree that it was a foolish thing to do.....granted, he was only 100 yards from the shore, but we all know that all it takes is a little slip and the situation could change from losing a boat to losing a life in a heartbeat.

That would have been the longest hundred yards in the world. Wasn't it right off rough point?

Especially given his idiotic insistence of not boarding the first boat on scene. That's the most perplexing part of the whole thing.

I'm sure the owner was in shock. I've been in shock and know first hand you just don't think straight and your priorities are skewed. I could not imagine my 5hr old boat in the turtle position.

I'm guessing this had to be the case...it just doesn't look bad enough out there to capsize a 25' boat. Although, pictures can be deceiving... :504_shrugging:

I will be very interested to see if we ever get a report on what really happened. I came through the Inlet around 4:00 and though the seas weren't bad they were as Rich described them best "Confused" coming from a couple of different directions and the Charter fleet was coming in at about that time and they had it churned up pretty good. I don't know if he was anchored or not but if he didn't have enough rode out and got in some of the wake I saw he could have gone over. I got airborne twice crossing wakes to get to Beaufort. That inlet is a great one but with an outgoing tide on a south wind with all that wake it could be a tough place if you are not used to it. Again I don't know what happened but I really feel for the owner of that boat.