Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Capsized boat Beaufort Inlet 6/13

My wife and I were fishing for Spanish Mack just outside of Beaufort inlet this afternoon--We had just come upon a school of churning Menhaden and started to work the edge of the school....I hooked up with something big and lost it (bite-off) when a mayday call comes across the VHF-a capsized Mako 25 just outside of the inlet-less than 1/2 mile away. We ran that way, and the coast guard kept calling for a GPS position, but the guy couldn't give it because his electronics were under water so I called in his coordinates as I was pulling alongside.

There was already another boat on the scene that had picked up the passengers, but the owner was still sitting on the bow of the overturned boat....I asked him if he would like to come aboard, and he said that he had spent his life savings on that boat less than five hours earlier, so he would just like to sit there awhile. I offered him a PFD, which he also refused saying that if it went down, he'd just swim to shore (100 yards away). About that time the CG and Towboat US arrived on scene so I backed off to let them work.

My wife took a few good photos of the incident-I'll post them tomorrow-I'm at the beach and didn't bring the camera cord!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job FN. Always good to know there are great people around in case trouble brews. Hats off to ya......

Life savings just 5 hours earlier??? I cant imagine that feeling.

I saw a report, on another website, from the other boat loading some of the people. Not alot of details in his post.

I came through the inlet after it had capsized . I did not stop as there were boats already on the scene.

The conditions weren't that bad....maybe 3' seas w/ an occasional 4, but so confused that you couldn't even begin to judge what the period might be. It was a little less where he was since he was so close to the beach, and I doubt the seas were the cause. Being a brand new boat it may have just been a rookie mistake, like a drain plug, or an equipment failure like a defective through-hull.

Here are some photos of the aftermath:

Capsize1.jpg

Capsize2.jpg

CapsizeCG1.jpg

CapsizeCG2.jpg

CapsizeCG3.jpg

CapsizeCG4.jpg

I think salvage (at least with regard to salvage "rights") come in if the boat is adrift or abandoned.....with regard to insurance I think it probably would be a salvage (if they even repair it) because I'm sure the value of towing, repairs, etc. would be at least 1/2 the value of the boat if not more.

I heard the towboat guy calling for a pump (I assume to try and float it right where it sat, but I came through the inlet again a while later and they were towing it back away from the inlet in the same position you see in the pics. I'm sure they eventually got it righted, but not before the tow.