Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Repairing Replacing Composite Stringers, Bulkheads

Hello

I am new to Reel Boating. My name is Scott Lewit, President of Structural Composites and Compsys, Inc. I am the principal inventor of Prisma Preforms. www.preforms.com At Structural Composites we do R&D, Testing, Engineering, ABYC Composite Training and specialized manufacturing. www.structuralcomposites.com

Our Prisma preform products are used by many boatbuilders in new construction. To make Prisma, we expand foam into a knit fiberglass fabric. The result is lightweight, rot proof stringers, bulkheads and beams. So if your boat was built with this (1994-on) you will have a long lasting durable boat. I own a 1994 Proline that was back then an instrumented test boat. Proline builds wood free. After 15 years the boat is still in great shape and I plan to keep it as it is the perfect boat for this part of Florida.

With the economy down we are seeing more people restoring their boat. They are often dealing with replacing rotted wood stringers. Our Prisma products have been geared for new construction, however we have some ideas on how to adapt our product to better meet the repair market needs.

We are looking for projects with repair yards and/or experienced at-home laminators interested in helping us fine-tune our product line for the marine repair market. We will provide technical support and we ask for your honest feedback and If you like some pictures we can use as we make a users guide.

Please contact me if you are interested. We can use this neat forum to create a thread.

I am happy to try and answer any questions on composite construction and repair.

Thank you

Scott Lewit

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-4080-1244935013_thumb.jpg

If you wanna replace the tranny and stringers on my old V, I'll sing about it on every boat forum I can find...I can be had, but I'm not cheap... :rolleyes:

I can help with the stringers and point you to some places to get the transom core if If that is what you are refering to as "tranny"

post-4080-1244935381_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna take the floor boards out of my '89 Contender 25 to inspect what's underneath. I'll be in touch when this happens. Sounds cool.

Hi Limbo Fish

Let me know what you find. Alway interested in hearing how boats are holding up after so many years.

Here is a picture of a large boat Prisma System it is dry fit and not yet laminated.

Scott

post-4080-1244935381_thumb.jpg

Hi Limbo Fish

Let me know what you find. Alway interested in hearing how boats are holding up after so many years.

Here is a picture of a large boat Prisma System it is dry fit and not yet laminated.

Scott

A couple of years ago I toured the Pursuit factory...looked like a similar stringer system there...

Scott, I contacted one of your sales people to look into you products for stringers on my 233 Formula project. She told me to go through Lewis Marine Supply to purchase the stringers, but they don't list very many options on their web site. I didn't see anything tall enough (to also support the sole) for a 24deg deadrise hull. Also, I am close to you in Merritt Island. Is it possible to come see your products first hand? Maybe if I bring some pictures you can give me some ideas. Thanks, Mark Galloway.

Scott, I contacted one of your sales people to look into you products for stringers on my 233 Formula project. She told me to go through Lewis Marine Supply to purchase the stringers, but they don't list very many options on their web site. I didn't see anything tall enough for a 24deg deadrise hull.

Thank you for your message. Sorry for the confusion as we are expanding our repair product line. Lewis currently only carries a couple of our beams. At this point we will work directly with you.

Please give me a call and we can discuss your project.

Thank you

Scott

321-252-4566

deckkitpic1.bmpdeckkit2.bmp

Scott,

I have worked with your project in a refit application where I needed to stiffen a flat panel and was impressed with the workability. Cut to length, drop it on some hull and deck, wet out and roll. EZPZ.

Sam

Hi Sam

Thank you for passing on feedback on Prisma Preforms. I am very happy to hear that the product worked well for you. Ease of use and high quality are are primary objectives.

If per chance you have a picture we can show potentail customers that would be great.

Please let me know if I can help you in the future. Attached are two pictures of a cockpit sole of a new boat being built with the beam product. Here we are eliminating the core material completely. The result is lighter weight, lower cost and increased structure.

You may also want to check out this utube video. It shows a stringer replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gY1ZJwIJAI

Thanks again

Scott Lewit

President

Compsys, Inc