Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Crimping Plier Recomentation

I am looking to build some rigs with Crimps. I would like to be able to crimp cable and big mono for shark rigs and 80 # test mono for drum rigs.

Can anyone recomend a pair of crimping pliers that wont break, and wont break the bank? I know there are a lot out there. I am assuming I should get a pair with the side cutters built in. What else should I look for, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks, Jeremy

I've had a pair of the Jinkai SC-3 hand crimpers for about 5 years and they've worked fine on wire leaders and 300# mono.

As far as the built in side cutters, I've found on both my fishing crimpers and larger wire rope crimpers that the built in cutters seem to loose their edge pretty quickly and don't give a good cut. This is also due to a bit of slop in the heads of the crimpers. So if you want to invest a couple more $, get a pair of aircraft cable cutters. I have a pair of Felco C7F. Aircraft Spruce carries them, as well as some less expensive cutters from S&F.