Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Safety Supplies List

Reel pleasure:

I was thinking maybe a knife would be good to have.

Definitely......

If you go far offshore or frequent areas outside shipping lanes, a desalinator to make drinking water from seawater. Smaller units can be had for a couple of hundred dollars, and they take up much less space than trying to carry water.

The secret to ditch bags is to keep them small as possible.....you don't want to be carrying a suitcase around.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of bag do you use for a ditch bag?

Currently I've got one of those white bags that came pre-stuffed with the coast guard basics. I'll be stocking it up as the season progresses this year.

Is that a good ditch bag or should I be looking into something else? I like that its got mesh on the sides so that things like lifevests will have a chance to breathe and not get all mildewey.

What kind of bag do you use for a ditch bag?

Currently I've got one of those white bags that came pre-stuffed with the coast guard basics. I'll be stocking it up as the season progresses this year.

Is that a good ditch bag or should I be looking into something else? I like that its got mesh on the sides so that things like lifevests will have a chance to breathe and not get all mildewey.

This is the one I have. They have a larger one, but this one fits food rations, water, first aid kit and alot of other things. It floats and you can hang it up if you choose.

small

bf549faea202a51933a3bdfc1d8df4fe.jpg

large

7046ed8b98fdb139aabb9811fb27fdb4.gif

Water, whistle, sunscreen, portable GPS and VHF, PLB, strobe light, flashy LED light, another light, small flares, big flare kit, extra contact lenses, knife, trailing orange streamer, lighter, small rope, some other things I forgot. I have the smaller of the ACR bags shown above and need to figure out if it still floats with all the stuff I put in it. I think it's around 20 pounds.... and I haven't figured out how to fit my rescue kite into it yet.

I haven't talked myself into adding a first aid kit into the ditch bag yet. I can't imagine needing anything in a basic kit while in the water. I have plenty of first aid supplies on the boat, just not in the bag. I would like to add a suture kit, but again can't see making stitches in the water. Tylenol and a small bottle of rum might be more useful. If I had a raft I would rethink this.

I haven't talked myself into adding a first aid kit into the ditch bag yet. I can't imagine needing anything in a basic kit while in the water. I have plenty of first aid supplies on the boat, just not in the bag. I would like to add a suture kit, but again can't see making stitches in the water. Tylenol and a small bottle of rum might be more useful. If I had a raft I would rethink this.

I tend to agree, just how big are your ditchbags?

How big are your boats to be carrying all this stuff around?

Are you anticipating being marooned on an island or do you expect to be floating in the water?

If you are floating in the water I personally don't see much need for disinfectant, maybe dressings to try to limit/stop bleeding, as infection is probably the least of your worries

Do check you hand held radio's battery often enough?

I think that unless we get located within 12 hours, we might be gonners anyhow, maybe that should be a large bottle of rum....