Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

To repower or not to repower

I have a 1999 Angler Cat, single Yammy 115. The plate says the max hp is 150. Right now I cruise at 25-26 mph at 5000 rpm. I'm thinking of repowering but don't know whether to go with the max or something in the 130 hp to 140 hp range in a 4 stroke.

Of course price is going to play a part and I really need to decide about how long I plan to keep the boat. There is very little info on this boat since apparently Angler only made it one year and they are not helpful at all. Don't even reply to emails or phone calls. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

I'm looking for a little more speed and a lot quieter. Hole shot doesn't really matter.

How about some comments?

if you don't want a 150 I would sugest the either the 130 Evinrude e-tec or the 140 suzuki. If you do want the 150 every engine builder makes a very good 150

I was going to suggest the new Etec 130 also but just for weight and quiet - the 150 would be fine too and bet it would get better fuel numbers than running that little 115 at 5K all the time - a bunch better. Any 150 would work, should be plenty on the used market if you don't want to new, but max HP is best.