Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Windlass Question

You're probably going to have to remove that hatch and have a new one fabricated out of a material like Starboard and mount it permanently in place. Then a unit like a Lewmar Pro sport 550 horizontal windlass can be mounted to it directly. You have to have about 18" clearance for the anchor rode to drop in without kinking.

pro-sport_rende.jpg

It is hard to guess the dimensions from the photo, but I believe you may be able to fit the windlass under the hatch. I have a similar arrangement on my boat. You would need to line the approach to the bow roller with nylon, then build a plate to cover the hole and hold the windlass. Mine is like the one pictured in this link: http://www.ewboats.com/318_center_console_gallery_13.html. However, if you don't want to open a hatch everytime you want to drop the hook, I'd go with Joe's suggestion. By the way, I don't think you could go wrong with a Lewmar in either a vertical or horizontal configuration, I have one of each and have been very pleased with both.

Sorry, the link takes you to the whole photo gallery, but if you scroll right to the windlass image you will see what I am attempting to describe.

The windlass can see a tremendous amount of force if a wave passes under the hull and the anchor is stuck. For that reason, unless the foredeck is stromng enough, it will crack under stress. If the foredeck is strong enough, mount a horzontal windlass right behind the bow roller. If not, you'll need to mount a sturdy plate in the anchor locker and mount a roller at the aft end of the bow roller to feed the rode ever the edge and to the windlass. You don't have an easy installation!

• 1 month later...