Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anybody Using "Windows 7" ?

Pretty much self-explanatory. I've totally had it with Vista, and have read a few good reviews for the beta of W7. Anybody got any firsthand experience with it?

What (in your opinion) are the pros and cons?

Is it anywhere near as much of a memory hog as Vista?

Does it have any "gee whiz" features? And the other side of the coin - Does it have any "G-- D---" features?

Appreciate your input!

I just installed windows 7 a few days ago and so far its pretty good. The install was very fast it downloaded most of the drivers. I only had to install a couple that it didn't recognize. I only have one program that does not work, a sign control program for and LED sign at work, but that program didn't like vista either. Other then that its nice whether its better then vista I wouldn't say that just yet but so far no major complaints.

I have a new desk top , it's a HP Pavilion 640 G hard drive and 7 G RAM with Vista SP1 and it has a 22" wide screen monitor that turns 90*

It runs Vista like it aint nutten , no problems so far . I think it has all the same stuff as the old one but just looks different .

All this and I run a Web site on DIAL-UP.

Of course I have a Net Book that I use at work with High Speed :]

I have a new desk top , it's a HP Pavilion 640 G hard drive and 7 G RAM with Vista SP1 and it has a 22" wide screen monitor that turns 90*

It runs Vista like it aint nutten , no problems so far . I think it has all the same stuff as the old one but just looks different .

All this and I run a Web site on DIAL-UP.

Of course I have a Net Book that I use at work with High Speed :]

I could not get Vista to load, so I bought a new hard drive. Dell sent me my recovery CD's (XP), so now I am fine again and pc works alot better.

Wish I could! I'm stuck with Vista! :1898_:

BOZ, I've got a 100% fully funtional copy of Windows 7 (beta) right here in my hand, you just say the word and it's yours. :)

You do know that Windows 7 isn't expected out on the market until sometime around Sept, that's about when the beta version is supposed to stop working.

Thanks for the input, guys; that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

I talked to our in-house IT guy at work today and asked him what he knew about Windows7; he proceeded to extol all the benefits of IE7. When he finally shut up for three seconds, I reminded him I was looking for info about WINDOWS 7, not IE7. To which he replied... "Oh. I don't know about that." :1898_: Guess I should have asked him en Espanol, but that's another story.

Wiley, that's what I'm expecting next. My laptop is taking - - no exaggeration - - anywhere from three to five minutes to boot up, and is still sluggish once it loads. (Gives me time to pour myself three or four fingers of JW Blue!) I've done a lot of 'housekeeping', deleting unneeded programs, temp files, running tune-up utilities, and I'm backing up every bit of my data daily, just in case...

Lester, with 7G of RAM, I guess your machine DOES fly! Mine's only got a measly 2G. (Who was it who, in the early days of PCs, said that "nobody will EVER need more than 640K of RAM" ??)

Garett, appreciate the offer, but right now I think I'll hold off until the final version comes out and the reviews are in. In the meantime I'll cross my fingers, continue drinking heavily, and keep the recovery disks and the backup drive handy.

Thanks again, guys!