Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What was your first boat?

1954 or 55 Halsey Plywood boat with a 30 Elgin engine. My dad bought it in the early late 50's. The boat was built in Charleston SC, the Galletta trailer it is on was built here in Savannah, Ga.

1954 or 55 Halsey Plywood boat with a 30 Elgin engine. My dad bought it in the early late 50's. The boat was built in Charleston SC, the Galletta trailer it is on was built here in Savannah, Ga.

Mr. "Palsy" Renken purchased Halsey for his sons. I think maybe for his son Walter primarily, but I dont remember.

Yes, built in Charleston.

A truly "old south" very fine family.

Very good friends.

Mike

1976 15' hydrosport with an 85 Javelin. The floor and stringers rotted out and I pulled the engine off and put it on a welded aluminum jon boat (way over powered). With a light load and trimmed out you could turn the steering wheel and the boat would turn but the engine would continue to go straight so I had to have some strakes welded on the bottom. That engine would eat powerpacks like crazy!

I was 12. (1989) The motor outweighted me. Tilting it up by hand was about everything I could muster.

16 ft Glasstream bass boat.

1974 Evinrude 50 hp

Killed the engine once, then rebuilt it and it lasted for years probably still running somewhere.

It loved abuse.

She was named "Miss Treated"

1976 15' hydrosport with an 85 Javelin. The floor and stringers rotted out and I pulled the engine off and put it on a welded aluminum jon boat (way over powered). With a light load and trimmed out you could turn the steering wheel and the boat would turn but the engine would continue to go straight so I had to have some strakes welded on the bottom. That engine would eat powerpacks like crazy!

Powerpacks, CD Boxes, whatever they were called from brand name to brand name, yeah, you bet, they'd go out all the time.

The early oil injection systems were also alot of fun.

THANK GOD FOR TODAYS OUTBOARDS!

Mike