Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Class Action Lawsuits

I was involved in a class action lawsuit once:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/rem_lawsuit_result.html

Ended up with a check for about $5.50, AND I got to keep the shotgun barrel that might blow up in my face someday.

Anybody up for some skeet or trap this weekend?

:2261_high:

Perfect example. They didn't "fix" the potential problem, they sent you a check for $5.50. I'm pretty sure you won't be replacing the barrel for that. That barrel could still blow up in your face. So what was the lawsuit really about? Protecting the individual from potential harm? Making the gun mfg be responsible for their product? I think not. I bet the lawyers cut could buy a barrel or two.

If the gun barrel had the potential to rupture then it should have been replaced by the mfg. Anything short of that is not protecting the gun buyer from harm.

I said it seemed like high level ambulance chasing. Someone else wrote strong arm tactic. Could be a little of both.

I was in a class action lawsuit w approx 600 people about 12 yrs ago.

We were at an outdoor festival and one of the food vendors didn't cook the chicken in the chicken fajitas enough.

My wife and I both had to go to the hospital, but were not admitted.

It took over a year to settle.

We were compensated for the time we missed from work and any out of pocket expenses. I was out 2 days, my wife 3 days. I think there was a VERY small amount added for pain and suffering.

I'm sure the lawyers cleaned up financially

I still wish I had skipped the fajita that wasn't very good anyway.

I no longer eat food cooked at these events

John

Invariably, the only parties who really profit from class-action lawsuits are the lawyers. Those affected by whatever created the action are almost never fully reimbursed for damages they actually realized. Not to say the reason was not just or valid, and there can be good that comes from it. Like Snapperhead said, it took a class-action to get Mercury to pull their head out of their ass and address the problems behind the early Optimax debacle. The real reason behind a class-action is to get numbers...the more involved often validates the lawsuit. It also can create more interest from talented high-powered law firms, since the possiblity of larger fees exist.

My opinion of lawyers in general is low. I do know some that I would use or see as reputable, but I know more that I wouldn't piss on if they burst into flame.

I follow them with interest, even when they don't affect me. The one involving ethanol and big oil, for example. In that case, the class-action is about the only way you could win against the legal artillery being packed by the oil companies.

That is the first significant amount I've heard. Was that amount above your loss, equal, or did you still lose money?

it was a health related issue...there was a pool of money set aside for all that qualified for the class (separate from what the lawyers got and I don't know what they got)...took me about a yr to get all info together to qualify...then they closed the qualifying and I got the check...that was a PLEASANT surprise... :1992_beer_cheer: