Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fiberglass boat detailing, waxing, restoring, etc.

I have had my 1997 Seacat for two years now. It looked mighty good when I got it, but now after sitting outside (mostly with a canvas cover on) in FL for nearly two years the gel coat aint quite as shiny and new looking. Not chalky or anything, just more dull looking.

I never do anything to my old whaler other than pressure wash. Years ago I had a real slick runabout that I did wax a couple of times I think, but I just aint real knowledgeable about this stuff and don't want to do anything too stupid.

Any advice? Other than a good cleaning, what should I do to make it look new again?

I bought a variable speed grinder with a cloth pad and some compound, be carefull start slow and watch with wonder as the shine comes alive. Talk to your local autoparts store that sells paint for cars, they have all the stuff you need. Good luck. The grinders about $300 but that is the only one that works, you gotta go slow and don't burn the gel coat

1. Wash the boat with dish soap, like Dawn. This will remove the old wax.

2. Remove any stains with "On/Off" or Snowbowl

3. Now you want to inspect the finish to determine if you need to compound or polish. Do that by wetting a small area. What you see is what you will get after you wax with out compounding or polishing. If it looks nice and shiny, you can just apply Colinite wax or Rejex Polish.

4. If the boat finish is slightly oxodized polish it with 3M Finesse-It II. Read the instructions. You will need a buffer to do this right.

5. If you have a deeply oxodized surface you will need to use a buffing compound and them the 3M polish.

6. After polishing, apply a protective finish, like Colinite Wax or my favorite non-wax product, Rejex

Just a note about "wax". This is a protective finish and not a polish. Polishing the boat to remove "dead" gelcoat is what makes the finish shine. If you don't polish with a product like Finesse-It II first you could end up with a surface that looks kind of OK, but with patches of less reflective gelcoat.

• 5 weeks later...
I have had my 1997 Seacat for two years now. It looked mighty good when I got it, but now after sitting outside (mostly with a canvas cover on) in FL for nearly two years the gel coat aint quite as shiny and new looking. Not chalky or anything, just more dull looking.

I never do anything to my old whaler other than pressure wash. Years ago I had a real slick runabout that I did wax a couple of times I think, but I just aint real knowledgeable about this stuff and don't want to do anything too stupid.

Any advice? Other than a good cleaning, what should I do to make it look new again?

Please feel free to email me jweiss@artofdetailing.com