Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat Lift Inspection

I am considering renting a lift at a small private marina to store my 31' Jupiter on. The lift has a sticker stating a 20,000# compacity and generally looks in good condition. Having never owned or used a lift personally, what should I look for while inspecting? Any tips on use?

Thanks,

Without seeing what type of lift, I can give you a general answer. First of all check the cables for fraying. I am on my 4th year with my High Tide 12,000LB lift. After 3 years I contacted Hi Tide, as I assumed that I would have to change out the cables as part of regular maintenance. High Tide explained that my assumption was incorrect, and that cables that do not show signs of fraying or wear do not need to be replaced. Other than that, if you have a lift with an aluminum frame (beams between pilings), check welds for cracks, check pulleys, grease pulleys with a good grade marine grease. How are the cross beams, bunks and hardware used to attach? Most lifts are pretty easy to maintain.

Without seeing what type of lift, I can give you a general answer. First of all check the cables for fraying. I am on my 4th year with my High Tide 12,000LB lift. After 3 years I contacted Hi Tide, as I assumed that I would have to change out the cables as part of regular maintenance. High Tide explained that my assumption was incorrect, and that cables that do not show signs of fraying or wear do not need to be replaced. Other than that, if you have a lift with an aluminum frame (beams between pilings), check welds for cracks, check pulleys, grease pulleys with a good grade marine grease. How are the cross beams, bunks and hardware used to attach? Most lifts are pretty easy to maintain.

I have the same lift. One thing I know for sure is check the cables for any rust or wear. I know they are stainless and are not supposed to rust but I had an issue with mine. The Dork that installed it apparently changed out one of the 4 cables with a galvanized one. I assume he needed a quality stainless cable for another project... My Grady Marlin came crashing down one evening about 6 months after the new lift was installed. Luckily it didn't hurt the boat or anyone.

Just to be clear about this story, the dork that installed it was not a High Tide employee and after this no longer installs lifts for them. High Tide came out and replaced the cable after I reassured him I did not replace it with a lesser quality cable (why the heck would I do that???). For the record I would purchase another High Tide lift because of their service I experienced in this case.

These are obvious but important safety tips:

1> Never, and I mean never let anyone on the boat while supported on the lift. The boat will bounce and weaken the cables.

2> Never go under the boat to service or inspect while it's on the lift.

3> It's also a good idea to stand away from the boat when raising or lowering it. My cable snapped while I was lowering it into the water. If you can, get a remote. I now stand 10+ feet away when the lift is in operation.

Sorry for my rant but I am passionate about this. I had my 4 year old Son in the dinghy with me under the boat while I was doing fiberglass work two weeks before the cable snapped. I'm still mad at myself for being so incredibly stupid. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

Back to your question. I inspect mine for any corrosion every time I use the lift. Also wash the salt off the cables (after every trip) and grease periodically as a previous poster mentioned. It would be a good idea to get the user's manual for the lift for all the recommended maintenance.

LB

LB,

What broke on the lift? Was it the Galvanized Cable or another part of the lift? How old was the lift? Thanks Mark.

It was the galvanized cable. High Tide did NOT install the galvanized cable. It was a local hack named Jim. It was about 6 months old.

I also would like to add that it was about 3 years ago and the lift is holding up very well.

LB

Thanks for the Tips everyone!

Now, is anyone interested in purchasing my 23' Dorado? :rolleyes:

most lifts should only be used at 75% capacity.

make sure the bunks can be reconfigured to properly support your hull.

make sure the bow is higher than the stern for proper drainage.

you can add walkboards along the bunks to make washing/waxing your boat much easier.

contact the lift manufacturer for a brocure on the proper use and care of your lift.