Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Uflex VS Teleflex

Well, I know ScarabChris has converted over. How is it , as far as a direct comparison to Teleflex? Turns hardover to hardover? Steering effort? Feel? Ease of bleeding? I'm interested of course, as well as my Uflex rep. She could use the business... :D

There wasn't a real noticable difference between how they operate, ofcourse I'm speaking about when the Teleflex was new. It was working like crap for the last 2+ years of its short 3 year life.

Both are very smooth (when working properly) turning lock to lock.

However I will say this. I like the U-Flex a lot better right out of the box. One thing I hated about the Teleflex/Seastar is that when you trimmed the engines all the way up the engines would fall to one side or another. The U-Flex helm keeps the engines straight.

The price on the U-Flex seems to be better as well. And the U-Flex will work with your Teleflex/Seastar hoses and cylinders. You just need to use the hose fittings from the Teleflex helm and install them in the U-Flex.

I will say the only thing I didn't like about the U-Flex is the thread size for the wheel nut. If you have a destroyer type wheel or any wheel where the nut is hidden its no big deal. But if you have an Edson type wheel with the fancy nut it won't fit. So unless you are handy enough to drill, tap and put a heli coil in your nice wheel nut you will be stuck with the plain 1/2-13 lock nut.

I did the heli coil thing and it worked perfect.

Teleflex customer service......pretty much doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. Thats why I switched. Hopefully I won't need U-Flex customer service but if I ever do I hope it goes better than my experience with Teleflex.

I learned the shaft thread size change was due to the Verado helm pumps, which Uflex makes also. Perhaps we'll see Glen E chime in here also and have a little more knowledge about it. Hell, even our Merc field guys didn't know about it. I believe it is actually 15 mm. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure...

Might be a stupid question but bear with me. Are these only for outboards or do they have models for I/O's? Mine isn't all that bad but I'd like to update to something new and smoother. I've got a Volvo penta 1994.

Thanks

Fishinspot,

The difference between I/O and O/B hydraulic steering is in the cylinder, not the helm. What outdrive do you have? SX? DP? The Uflex helm is compatable with your Teleflex cylinder. Give me your details and I will find out the applicable helm at a damn good price (ask ScarabChris).

There wasn't a real noticable difference between how they operate, ofcourse I'm speaking about when the Teleflex was new. It was working like crap for the last 2+ years of its short 3 year life.

Both are very smooth (when working properly) turning lock to lock.

However I will say this. I like the U-Flex a lot better right out of the box. One thing I hated about the Teleflex/Seastar is that when you trimmed the engines all the way up the engines would fall to one side or another. The U-Flex helm keeps the engines straight.

The price on the U-Flex seems to be better as well. And the U-Flex will work with your Teleflex/Seastar hoses and cylinders. You just need to use the hose fittings from the Teleflex helm and install them in the U-Flex.

I will say the only thing I didn't like about the U-Flex is the thread size for the wheel nut. If you have a destroyer type wheel or any wheel where the nut is hidden its no big deal. But if you have an Edson type wheel with the fancy nut it won't fit. So unless you are handy enough to drill, tap and put a heli coil in your nice wheel nut you will be stuck with the plain 1/2-13 lock nut.

I did the heli coil thing and it worked perfect.

Teleflex customer service......pretty much doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. Thats why I switched. Hopefully I won't need U-Flex customer service but if I ever do I hope it goes better than my experience with Teleflex.

Chris,

do you have an autopilot connected to your steering system?

I ask, because I have the 2nd Teleflex helm (check valve) damaged within 3 years now. I have the TR1 and the pulsing pump definitely is not easy on the helm.

Now I have the same problems again, you had with your Teleflex helm: sputtering intermittand motion like you have it, when air is in the system.

The next helm will NOT be a Seastar/Teleflex unit again. Where did you get the U-flex ?

Chris,

do you have an autopilot connected to your steering system?

I ask, because I have the 2nd Teleflex helm (check valve) damaged within 3 years now. I have the TR1 and the pulsing pump definitely is not easy on the helm.

Now I have the same problems again, you had with your Teleflex helm: sputtering intermittand motion like you have it, when air is in the system.

The next helm will NOT be a Seastar/Teleflex unit again. Where did you get the U-flex ?

Hare,

Contact me via email.

Osprey.....The thread size on the 2.4 helm I got from you has a 1/2"-13 thread size, that I can guarentee you. The Teleflex has a 3/4" fine thread (not sure of the threads per inch). It wasn't a big deal for me but for a less handy guy it might be.

Hare2....no auto pilot. Just your standard 2.0 SeaStar helm and cylinder with tie bar setup.

Osprey.....The thread size on the 2.4 helm I got from you has a 1/2"-13 thread size, that I can guarentee you. The Teleflex has a 3/4" fine thread (not sure of the threads per inch). It wasn't a big deal for me but for a less handy guy it might be.

Hare2....no auto pilot. Just your standard 2.0 SeaStar helm and cylinder with tie bar setup.

Chris,

Thanks. For some reason I was thinking Metric (probably because I just changed my Volvo's water pump!). I even had to spec the 1/2" SS Edson-type nut in at work! Sometimes I wonder about myself... :471_confused_face: